skidding logs with a tractor? or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. I purchased a B2601 Kubota a month ago at work and it was over $18,000 with no loader and no implements.
$26k with loader, 3rd function, mower deck, rear remote, and back hoe. 6-7 month wait when I priced one out at messicks. Glad I found my b7510...

I skid quite a few logs, here's one of them,

Resized-20240212-161049-S.jpg

Some big, some small, all depends on IF they are going to my BSM or my woodstove.

SR

$26k with loader, 3rd function, mower deck, rear remote, and back hoe. 6-7 month wait when I priced one out at messicks. Glad I found my b7510...
I took quotes from the 3 closest dealers and they came in within $100 of one another. We went with the the nearest dealer and they delivered the day after I accepted the bid.

I spent almost 2 years looking for a decent used L-series Kubota and finally gave up. My TYM was $31,000 with loader and bucket, 3rd function kit, a grapple and 1 set of rear remotes.

Now, back to the real world. Friends of mine do just fine with a little Kubota. I did have to remind one of them, who was complaining about not being able to pull a large log, that unless he actually needed it to be long, he could cut it and make it a shorter length. They are limited to flattish ground because the other ground is quite steep. They also mow, plow, and haul stuff around so it's good to have a tractor for that.

A winch on the tractor would be handy to have. You could pull line out and up onto the steep ground if you had a winch. The tractor would stay on the flatter ground and winch the logs in. But we're starting to get into skidder territory....so keep it simple and be aware of the tippiness of your choice.

The manly rifle is not a requirement in the woods out here.
"The manly rifle is not a requirement in the woods out here."
Nothing manly about that rifle. My wife owns one as do I. Just wait. I think you might be needing one before it's all said and done. In the woods out there. jmho :cool: OT

A Lowery Manufacturing Co (LMC) heavy duty box blade with added weight:

View attachment 1210804

View attachment 1210805

The BB weighs 675 (according to LMC), the 8x8" weight block (lead, steel and concrete) weighs 410 lbs and the Ratchet Rake weighs 110 lbs for a total of about 1195 lbs total. In addition, I have 47x2 gallons of ballast in the tires (752 lbs) plus the concrete, lead and steel wheel weights of ~500 lbs.

Another big log being moved.

View attachment 1210806
And now, we know the rest of the story. I have a JD 5303 2 wheel drive with 800# weight box on the back and it's not quite enough. The big problem is that it's only 2 wheel drive. I can handle the small stuff but big logs cause loss of traction. I'll add more rear weight eventually. :cool: OT

I live near Brazil, IN, and work in Spencer (in Owen Co). The grade on some of the terrain in Owen Co will rival anything in Tennessee.

I think a lot of it depends on how big the logs are, and how far you need to drag them. I use an old Ford 1710, but I'm working on mainly flat ground. Using a tractor to haul wood out of a ravine is tricky business. Something to keep in mind is that Ag tires don't have much traction, and you can get stuck trying to back up a hill to the point that your bucket can't pull you out (ask me how I know).

While I wouldn't dream of dealing with logs and trees without a loader, I'm not sure that I'd be brave enough to use it on unlevel ground. I normally skid stuff. I think going up hill, skidding will be safer because the log is pulling straight back on you rather than potentially trying to tip you sideways if the log isn't well balanced in your loader or if you're not going straight up hill. I'll take some pics of what I made for the back of my tractor to skid with. Again, not sure it would work for you or not, but it works fine for me (on mostly flat ground). As far as what tractor to use, get the biggest thing you can afford. Weight is your friend. FWIW, between Terre Haute and Brazil, there's a tracked skid steer that's been for sale for at least a few months. No idea what they want for it, but it would be a much better option for dealing with hills than a tractor would be (and you could sell it when you're done). I think it just has a bucket on it, so you'd probably want to add a grapple.

Depending on how far you need to move them to get on level ground, I've skidded trees out of ravines using 5/16" G70 log chains (from HF) and my truck. Basically limb the tree, drag out MOST of what I can reach with the chains, put them in the truck bed for weight, then tie off to what's left and pull it up in 4 low (this was with a '93 F250 diesel with a 5spd manual). Some times it would take a few yanks to free it up and get it moving, but I was able to get some 24" trees out of some pretty nasty ravines doing this.

The interesting part of using a skid steer on uneven terrain is that it would actually be really easy to roll it over to one side.
I have done some fun wheelies going forwards with too much weight on the forks. It would be fairly easy (but insane) to do a back flip that you could not stop... (yikes!)
The skid steer has the ability off road that is way past common sense.

One thought, years ago, was to build a "mini skidder". Same basic concept of like a John Deere 540, but about 1/2 the size.
The reality is that I really don't do enough to justify the time and expense of creating it. Still was a thought tho!

The interesting part of using a skid steer on uneven terrain is that it would actually be really easy to roll it over to one side.
I have done some fun wheelies going forwards with too much weight on the forks. It would be fairly easy (but insane) to do a back flip that you could not stop... (yikes!)
The skid steer has the ability off road that is way past common sense.

Totally agree. That said, when you got to the bottom of the hill and came to a stop, so long as you're not in water and were strapped in, YOU will be able to walk away. The machine.... that might be another story.

I volunteer some on a disaster relieve crew. A few years ago when the big tornado went through Mayfield KY, we were doing clean up on the banks of Kentucky lake. A tractor and loader would have been utterly useless there. We had 3 minis with thumbs that were able to pass logs about 100 ft up the bank in a daisy chain. Of course they had to cut a semi-level path down there first, which they did with their blades in about 45 minutes. Once the log made it up that far, the skid steers were able to take them the rest of the way. Way more stable and way more capable than a tractor, but you're right. The added capability also means that the operator can get themselves in a lot more trouble if they aren't careful. I think that's the case with EVERYTHING related to dealing with timber in pretty much any situation. To heck with a pound of cure, give me a pound of prevention! :)

Back