skidding logs with a tractor? or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been logging with a tractor for many years, and I've tried grapples and quite a few other ways to load logs, clean slash and many other jobs with a tractor, out in the woods. By far, the best way I've ever found is to use pallet forks with a matching single grapple, like I have now!

Resized-20240312-133007-S.jpg

It does everything a big grapple does and much more,

Resized-20230805-113600-S.jpg

Even moving pallets or boxes of wood,

Resized-20230610-153552-S.jpg

and if you want, you can saw right between the forks,

Resized-20230521-162600-S.jpg

I can push the forks together and drive them into the ground under a boulder and pry/pull and lift the boulder right out of the ground,

Resized-20211027-171158-2033-S.jpg

Because they do just about everything so well, I "rarely" take them off!

SR

Maybe it could save YOUR life, but not mine, personally I HATE that whiner transmission!!

Make mine gear drive pleasee!

Resized-20220924-152558-S.jpg

SR
If you run into something that could upend the tractor or impale you, you cannot push in the clutch fast enough in all cases. Releasing the pedal on a hydrostat stops the tractor instantly.

If you run into something that could upend the tractor or impale you, you cannot push in the clutch fast enough in all cases. Releasing the pedal on a hydrostat stops the tractor instantly.
Oddly, in all the years I've been working with tractors in the woods, I don't have any "impaled" holes in me, and I've never turned a tractor over.

Have you considered that with a gear drive tractor, taking your foot off the throttle will bring the tractor to an idle, and that means the tractor will come very close to stopping.

Anyway, it's next to impossible to tip my tractor over backwards or sideways.

SR

Latest posts

Back