skidding logs with a tractor? or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean, I have yet had to replace a clutch on one of my tractors, and I've loaded thousands of loads of dirt, ****, loge ect...

It all depends on the operator; I have a neighbor that goes through a clutch a year!

SR
I was making a general observation as a heavy equipment mechanic. Good operators always make a world of difference, but far and few between. One of the biggest reasons for hydraulic shuttles/clutches, semi-matic/power shift and full hydro transmissions. I've always had good luck with clutches in tractors, but it's still not my preference for a loader tractor. Having said that, we haven't ever needed to split any of the tractors to replace the clutch yet.

So you know more than most that hydrostatic transmissions are the most practical option for a little tractor.
Or power shift like my little yanmar. Basically don't need to use the clutch expect for range changes. 1,2 and reverse are on the dash selector lever. (Glorified shuttle shift lever.)

I will relate an experience I had. While bushhogging in the woods with a Kubota tractor with an HST drive, I mowed down some saplings perhaps 2" diameter. But some of them did not get cut through; they just got pushed down under the tractor and bushhog. When I retuned going back the opposite direction, one of the saplings had started to rise back up, and it was slightly higher than the front axle of my tractor. When I drove back over it, it popped up and hit me square in the chest, going between the tractor body and the loader frame. I had a sever bruise and it hurt when I breathed for days. It probably came close to cracking my ribs. But if I were driving a gear drive tractor, it probably would have run me through, as all I had to do to stop the tractor was release the pressure on the foot pedal, which is much easier to do than to find the clutch on a gear drive tractor and push it in. I also have experience with a couple of gear drive tractors, and I usually did not use the foot accelerator to control speed; I used the hand throttle. I guess using the foot accelerator would be safer in the woods, but not as safe as a hydrostat.

I've been a commercial mower, using tractors since 1982. I have never gotten into a situation like that, but that was probably because I had a bit more expertise about mowing brush. I can see how it might happen. It sounds unpleasant.

You should also be aware that the brush going the wrong way under your tractor is far more likely to get caught up in your foot lever linkage and strip you of any ability to control the tractor hydraulics. I don't consider that hydrostat is superior to clutches, at least with respect to operator controls. That depends more on the skill of the operator than which foot pedals he must engage.

Over the past 40+ years, I've seen lots of my guys lose control of the machine. I've had them upside down, high centered, axled into the mud, fallen off trailers, down into ravines, and many times I've had the operator stop the tractor and walk away from a dangerous position, saying that I would have to come drive it out.

I think hydrostats are superior to clutches in many situations, and certainly for fellows with less experience. I generally prefer a clutch with a shuttle-shift for rapid forward and backwards maneuvers. A clutch and geared transmission will outlast a hydrostatic machine by many years, and at lower operating cost. Hydrostat machines are much better at working the machine hard under load while doing tight maneuvering. Grading, back & forth loading, perhaps running an attachment like a post-hole digger are much easier with a hydrostat machine. Field mowing, towing big loads or driving down the road at high speed are much less work for a gear-drive machine.

I think if I wanted a small utility tractor for working in the woods, I'd prefer a hydrostat, too, unless my budget dictated that I was keeping the machine for 20+ years. Then it's clutch and gear drive only.

So you know more than most that hydrostatic transmissions are the most practical option for a little tractor.

Especially since most operators try to work the little machines too hard. It's hard to burn up a hytran, but a crappy operator can really trash a clutch in a hurry. Furthermore, any machine with a hytran drive will outperform a clutched machine in a back-and-forth loader operation, especially if loading heavy material from a pile or a digging operation. Many operators will not down-shift when working the machine with a load, or navigating close to something delicate. That's where hydrostat shines! Transition from slow to fast are effortless.
...until the linkage starts wearing out and the controls get sloppy. Then it becomes very tricky to not dent stuff because the machine doesn't stop exactly where you tell it to.​

Gee, did I say that?? Could you point out where...

What I DO know is that I have been at this for many years, and I've learned how to run a tractor, and I don't need a whiner tranny because I'm too lazy to learn how to use a clutch "properly". lol

hydros may be "practical" for you, but don't paint everyone with that brush because of it.

SR

Gee, did I say that?? Could you point out where...

What I DO know is that I have been at this for many years, and I've learned how to run a tractor, and I don't need a whiner tranny because I'm too lazy to learn how to use a clutch "properly". lol

hydros may be "practical" for you, but don't paint everyone with that brush because of it.

SR
You are just stirring the pot, like you always do.

My 1940 9N, has been skidding logs, since it was built. Original owner was a neighbor, his Son got killed in Nam, he still farmed.

When Dad died we got the 9N, 1980s. Been skidding. plowing, mowing, pulling/hauling since then.

How is that new stuff going to be doing a 80 years from now, parts?
Just fine just like every other popular tractor out there. Ffs 🤦🏻

I don't think ANY, of the current tractors, will be running/serviceable 80 years from now. Some Ford, Fergeys, and IH might?

Much like other current saws/cars/trucks/ power equipment.......
hobby machines will always be around, no one is production farming with a 9n anymore then they are using a jd A. But yet the old girls are still around and being used. Tractors of today stand more of a chance to be around for just as long or not longer then the old stuff and there are many sub models that are basically the same with different engine and trans options, leading to plenty of parts availability for many, many years to come.
Having said that, my crystal ball hasn't been very good in telling the future so who know what we'll be using in 80 years.

hobby machines will always be around, no one is production farming with a 9n anymore then they are using a jd A. But yet the old girls are still around and being used. Tractors of today stand more of a chance to be around for just as long or not longer then the old stuff and there are many sub models that are basically the same with different engine and trans options, leading to plenty of parts availability for many, many years to come.
Having said that, my crystal ball hasn't been very good in telling the future so who know what we'll be using in 80 years.

So no answer. And BS.

It's not a "hobby" machine" it still works when ever I need it. So does my TO-30 fergie.

When YOUR crap , is , scraped, I'll be running mine.

Back