SkilSaw chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1629 and the unknown model of Skil

Here are the pics I promised.I know the cream and white one is a 1629,but wondering what the green one is.Is it a Poulan made by PM? Or is it a Poulan made for Skil or is it just a Poulan?Am I making any sense here? Also the 1629 and the green one look very similar.Please help me out ,I would like to get them both running and will need parts for both but will need to find out what the green one is first.
Thanks Lawrence

Remington754-HomeliteandPM270001.jpg

Remington754-HomeliteandPM270002.jpg

Remington754-HomeliteandPM270003.jpg

Remington754-HomeliteandPM270004.jpg

Remington754-HomeliteandPM270005.jpg

Last edited:

Okay what would you pay for a okay looking 1629.You can even make out the name Skilsaw on the bar.Well come to think of it I guess it could be a newer bar.I ran across one for sale.
Lawrence

Last edited:
Okay what would you pay for a okay looking 1629.You can even make out the name Skilsaw on the bar.Well come to think of it I guess it could be a newer bar.I ran across one for sale.
Lawrence

I have about 4 sitting in the museum....the tan one and a yellow one....got them for free..just had to pick them up.....they are made by PM based on their model 340.
You can probably get them at a yard sale for $5 since they were mass produced before Skill took over the PM company.
They came into different brand(copy) names ...SKILL, SKILLSAW, SKILLSHOP.

At that time Skill realized that they could not compete with the newer advanced technology and abandoned the chainsaw division.

history:.........FOR THOSE INTERESTED:popcorn:

1969:Skil purchased a chainsaw company,PM( Power machinery) from Vancouver (rights are currently owned by Mike Acres, Vancouver)
In June of 1974, Electrolux AB, the Swedish vacuum cleaner manufacturer, announced its bid for National Union. Electrolux had been unable to use its name in the United States since 1968 (when it sold its American Electrolux Co. subsidiary to Consolidated Foods Co.), and it was looking to re-enter the lucrative American market. National Union supported Electrolux's takeover of Eureka-Williams, whose name was changed backed to the Eureka Company.

Jan 1979: Directors of Skil Corp., a manufacturer of portable power tools, have approved an agreement to merge with St. Louis-based Emerson Electric Co.,
In addition to shareholder approval, the deal also is contingent upon an opinion by Skil's lawyers about the tax-free nature of the proposed ex- change of the 1.94 million shares of Skil stock. and upon sale of Skil's chainsaw business.
The merger of the Skil Corporation into the Emerson Electric Company moved closer to realization as the two companies announced that Skil agreed to sell its chain saw business to the National Union Electric Corporation a division of Eureka-Williams.

Eureka celebrated its 50th anniversary year in 1959, the year in which Feldmann announced his intention to merge Eureka-Williams with National Union Electric Corporation, a heating and air-conditioning manufacturer of which Feldmann was both chairman and president. At the time of the merger Eureka-Williams was described as manufacturing vacuum cleaners, oil burners, school furniture, aircraft generators, hydraulic motors, starters and inverters, and thermal batteries at plants in Bloomington and Canastota, New York. Feldmann took Eureka private and it became a division of National Union.
By the mid-1990s, Eureka held steady at its perennial number two position in the vacuum cleaner market, but had rebounded from losses in market share in the early 1990s, ending the chainsaw line of production forever……...

Skil chainsaw

Thanks Alain for the information you posted! Always good to read and hear the history of saw manufacturers.What Skil chainsaw's would one want to find that would be good collectibles ?
Thanks
Lawrence

Lawrence

They don`t seem to garner much attention as collectables and no one in their right mind would want to run or use one for todays wood cutting . I have one that was given to me as a joke but I cleaned it up and had it running in 20 mins.
Had a thread up on here called it, "It does not always turn out". In their time they were not a bad saw and quite a few of them were sold to homeowners concerned with cutting up firewood. FATGUY`s was a real good looking one and had a real nice shipping box with it.
Mine needed a bar and chain when I got it and I just happened to have 3 new Echo 670`s as parts saws and the bars are a perfect fit for the 1629.
Pioneerguy600

Heres what I have.I got these saws two years ago.

Skil 1645 type 3
cut133.jpg

cut134.jpg

cut135.jpg

cut136.jpg

Skil 1716
cut137.jpg

cut138.jpg

Thanks Alain for the information you posted! Always good to read and hear the history of saw manufacturers.What Skil chainsaw's would one want to find that would be good collectibles ?
Thanks
Lawrence

If you can find a running (or even non-seized) 1685 or 1690, skip that month's mortgage payment if necessary to get it. The 1690 is a 139cc monster.

Lawrence

I paid $5 for this 1629 from the scrapyard a few weeks ago:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Its only physical defect other than missing paint is a crack in the top cover, which you can barely see in the first photo radiating from the corner directly above the wood rope pull handle. I have no idea about its running condition though, since the recoil is messed up and not engaging the flywheel, and I haven't gotten around to looking at it. I guess I could always just take the recoil off my running 1629 to try it out. If I remember right, these things used the same Fairbanks Morse starter as many other old saws; if that's the case I should have lots of parts. For the record this one did even have a bar on it when I picked it up, but I since removed it to make the saw easier to store until I get around to fixing it up. Lawrence, if you do pick that one up and end up needing some parts let me know. I'm not all that attached to this one!

Speaking of my running 1629, here it is:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Paid $30 for it last summer at a yard sale. It's quite a dog with that old chipper chain that's on it. Sure built solid though, except for the plastic fuel tank which I found surprising for such an old model.

I was in a second-hand / antique / nostalgia store here a few weeks ago and they had a mint 1631 on a shelf. They're physically identical as far as I can tell but a bit bigger displacement. This one had the bright orange paint scheme which I hadn't seen before (but have since), but was pretty much flawless. No price on it though, as with most stuff there.

Last edited:
Skilsaw chainsaw 1631 Type 3

Just brought to my attention that this old hand-me-down chainsaw is 'that' old. Couldn't find any info thing I ran across these posts. Anyone with ideas about parts, parts list, manual, etc. Runs like a top; and I want to keep it that way! Thanks.

Back