Small gas saw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recoil Rob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'd like to get a smaller, lightweight, good handling saw to cut up brush, limb felled trees and such. Something with a 12-14" blade. This is for homeowner work.
I have looked at the Sthl 009L, Echo CS- 300 and 340.

Comments and other suggestions appreciated

Those 3 are good homeowner saws. Any of the 3 will last for many years with proper use and maintenance. Sharp chain and properly mixed clean fuel are the 2 biggest factors. If you don't keep those 2 right, it doesn't matter what you buy.

Top handled saws are designed for aerial work. The close handle placement gives less leverage to fight off a kickback episode.

Better choices would be the 3450 Echo, Husky 36, 340, Stihl 018, 021, Shindaiwa 360, JD 36. Some cheap models aren't much better than throwaway saws, but many are built plenty well for occasional use.

I have two 009's and they are fine saws. But, for what you want the the Stihl 017 at 159.00 would suit you just fine. You can spend a few extra bucks and outfit it with the tool-less chain adjusting system but the cheaper up-grade is to install the side chain tensioner off of an 025. Both of my 009's were used and I got them cheap, if I were to buy a new saw in that displacement it would be the 017. The 017 has a bad reputation as a "consumer saw" SO WHAT? Isn't that how you're going to use the saw? Ask the dealer if he'll set the 017 up with a 14" .043 set-up. Pico-micro narrow, cuts very well on the smaller powerheads. I have pmn on one of my 009's and on an older saw (015) and it's impressive compared to the Pico-micro at .050.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/009L.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS170.html

Last edited:
I would go with rbtree's recommendation of the John Deere CS36. It is made by EMAC in Italy and is very well built for the money.(should be about $199) Make sure you get the CS36 or CS40 and not one of the older John Deeres made by Homelite. Make sure it says "made in Italy"

I would not get a top handle saw if I were you.

The Echo 3450 is a very good saw, but they are $279 down the road from here.

I have owned an 009 since 1981. Still use it for all the top limbs every year. Mine is the old orange one, the new model starts and runs MUCH better. Good longevity, decent power, easy handling.
If you want an AV system, the 018 is the way to go. Better power than an 017. I took one that was broken in and tried it in 14 inch maple. Kept right on going thru (sharp chain a must, but what saw is set up for a dull chain?).

The Stihl 009 looks like a hybrid design, not really top handle or back handle.

Rob, for what it's worth, give serious consideration to the previously suggested John Deere (Made in Italy) CS36 or CS40. After searching a lot of lightweight saws, including all the aforementioned brands/models (all good saws), I ended up selecting the CS36. No disappointments.... have been very impressed with its quality, power and performance. You should be good and confused by now. Good luck with whatever you get.

Definately confused by now. No one even mentioned the saw i was leaning toward, an Echo 3400. It's about 2lbs lighter than anything comparable. Less fatigue over the long run. But now I have plenty to think about.

Thanks, Rob

Originally posted by Recoil Rob
Definately confused by now. No one even mentioned the saw i was leaning toward, an Echo 3400. It's about 2lbs lighter than anything comparable. Less fatigue over the long run. But now I have plenty to think about.

Thanks, Rob

echo is almost always a good choice, but for what you described you would not want a top hadled saw - or would you? a lot of the weight differences stem from that fact:) mind you echo is very nice - only thing they lack is power, but they ALWAYS work.

rob,

I dont know the best price on a new Shindaiwa 360 (or 377). (one just sold on ebay for $79) But it weighs 8.8 lb and develops 2.5 hp, a heck of a lot more than the Echo. By the way, 3450's sell for under $150 on ebay all the time. They are durable saws, buying on ebay is not without risks, but you might consider it. The 360 is a very well built saw.

For ground use, any saw under 10.5 lb (dry, no b/c), is plenty light.

Originally posted by Recoil Rob

I've been climbing with the 3400 for 7 years now, excellent climbing saw. And I use it on the ground, too. But the comments about a top handle saw might be taken into consideration here. The 3450 is identical to the 3400, but with a rear handle. Many times you can get returned/refabbed 3450's at Home Depot for cheap. Usually used once and returned.
If you prefer the top handle design, the 3400 is an excellent choice.

I vote for the 3450 too, you'll like the rear handle design better. Its a good saw for the small stuff like clearing brush. I picked mine up on eBay with a case and extra chain for $182 last fall; I think the Home Depot prices are criminal.
A word of caution though. Most of the 3450's that I have seen come with a 16" bar which I think is too much. When and if I wear out the chains and bar, I'm going to go to either 14 or 12", the 16" tends to bog down in anything of any size. Other than that, its been reliable.

Back