soil covering tree trunks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take a hit for this one too, I've seen more trees killed by landscape architects than bulldozers. Think about it.

Digger, if we( arborists) are given the hard reality up front, as to what you guys need to do what you have to do on site we can in some instances work to save a tree that on first thought you may say remove.

So dirt piles are a given on construction sites but trenchs are old technology we use directional boring for utilities and it works well to save trees.

The current rule of thumb is that 3x DBH is the innere limit in trenching and tree survivability. 5x is the optimal rule.

Most upland hardwoods will die within 5-10 years of construction if they are in the traffic areas. Many studies are infer that this is from soil compation. There are 2 types of soil sciences, structural and horticultural. They are incompatable, we need the pores, the engineers want to get rid of them. The second biggest cause seems to be crushing of roots and basal impact which allows decay organisms in.

Yes, many times retaining trees creates incompatabilites with the economical construction. But we so many times see where HE impacted basal and trunk areas , where roots wher shredded when simple precautionary measures could have been taken.

How about 10 inches of chip in the drip line, prohibiting traffic in certain area.

One of my biggest pet peaves on construction sites is parking under trees.

Digger, maybe in your small part you can incourage the use of arborists on the job site...

SOIL GRADE - DYING CHOKE CHERRY

Hi,

My location is Oregon. The trees can differ here, but some things may be similar.

I would disagree with suggestions to leave your Maples alone to see what they do.

If they do not do well, then what good was it to wait and see.

Out here, I have failed to see any problems from removing excess fill material provided no significant root damage resulted.

Tree roots use oxygen and give off carbon dioxide. Often, extra fill can reduce the ability of the soil to release that gas, and can cause a gas poisoning. Douglas Fir trees in our area do not handle it well. And its different for a tree having fill put over the roots, as compared to a D. Fir that slowly grows roots under hardtop for example.

Maybe you have more than one site change. I do not know if Choke Cherry is anything similar to Cherry or Flowering Cherry out here, but those grow 4 times faster here when placed in dryer beds. Many in lawns or heavily irrigated shrub beds do not fare well. Has the irrigation or water situation changed?

Mario Vaden
Landscape Designer / Arborist
M.D. Vaden - Trees & Landscapes
Beaverton, Oregon:blob2:

Choke Cherry - Prunus virginiana

bush or small tree, that would be 60ft there in the PNW?;)

Seems to me most Prunus don't like wet feet, and canker if over irregated.

A better way to describe the mechanics of gas exchange in the soil is the pecolation of water throught he soil draws fresh air down into the soil pores.

Back