Solo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one time (around six years ago) Solo was using an older Sachs-Dolmar patent. The understanding at the time was that they were going to have trouble because that particular one would not pass the current emmisions. Thats all I know @ the moment.

I have seen advertisers on EBAY state that a SOLO "like Husqvarna or Jonsered" I have never personally had a SOLO saw in my hands, but from the pics,it does not look to be of a similiar design, by that I mean off of basically the same tooling.

We hear that they are quality saws.

Does anyone know how the prices compare to Swede and German saws.

Howdy,

Solo is a smaller, completely independent saw manufacturer in Germany. They have a lot of innovative ideas, but next to non-existant marketing it seems.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Solo is a saw that is near and dear to my heart. I have several and they are satisfactory in the extreme. I wrote to Solo and received this reply from Mr. Dunne the president;

Dear Mr. Rupley,

Thanks for your e-mail. It is kind of you to write the very positive comments about Solo.
Solo is indeed a small company and we'd certainly welcome a solution to the problem of surpassing Stihl and the Electrolux Group with chain saws in the marketplace. Solo believes that its' motorized products are equal to or superior to the competition... our market share is small but improving.
With regard to backpack sprayers, Solo has enjoyed the number one market share for more than 20 years. Our results with compression sprayers have also been very satisfactory.
Solo is a privately owned company not affiliated with Electrolux or others, however, Solo did make a few smaller chain saws for Husqvarna 20 years ago. This created some confusion.
Our website (www.solousa.com) is a work in progress.

Well there you have it. Solo is trying but the big boys have a large lead. If anyone needs Solo saws or parts I can have them shipped directly to you. Mike

G'day Mike,

I also am a fan of Solo, a very underated product. My latest Solo is one of their backpack sprayers, and Im really happy with it.
I hope they can do well in the future.
Cheers
Charlie.

snydert,
even though my web page is still under construction, it will set you up with solo home page and tech support. go to the exite home page and type chainsaw world in the search box. i should be the first listing and it should say chainsaw world- all about chainsaws. like i said, it is still under construction but go to solo home page or solo tech support and that should help you.
protect yourselves; marty

Solo dealers

Ya , i know of Solo, and they German..NOT swedish..
like most of us, I believed the advertising and switched from solo to the Husky a couple a years ago. then to Stihl... Saws were not bad...but really..lookin back...no better either than the Solo's we had been using for years. After gettin screwed over by BOTH on warrenty issues,..not the dealers BTW...we switched BACK to SOLO..and have been awful happy ever since...got good saws and prices are better...guess all that advertisin costs the swedes !..in fact, lemme quote ya a price i got from a dealer in Illinois...he has Solo and Husky both.
690 24" solo was 700 bucks
394 24" Husky was 950!
we bought the Solo!..cuts right with the other 394 we have, NO difference in the log between em!

The Dealers are out there, just not as many..but I also know that 2 other dealers in my area are gettin on with Solo cause of the problems they say they have dealin with the others!

Cant believe I bought all the HYPE over the last 10 years on them others!...oh well..live and learn!...and put em in the LOG!

Hi All,

I am also a fan of SOLO. In my limited experience, SOLO is peer to both Stihl and Husqvarna and even better in some areas. Excellent low RPM torque and great HP to weight ratio. Just goes to show what market saturation and "carpet bombing" style advertising can do.

John

I have an old 642 that I bought awhile ago, It`s missing the auto oiler assy. I have it rigged up now so I`m only using the manual oiler, It`s 106cc, good working saw, anyone know were I might find parts?

earl,
i do not know if you read the information to snydert but, now for solo you can call toll free 1-800-296-7656.
protect yourselves; marty

Piston Ring

Tony,

The exploded view of the SOLO 651/651SP shows and lists one piston ring, but it looks a little different than a normal ring. Rupedoggy or Kdhotsaw would be able to answer you for sure.

John

Solo Rings

Tony,
I believe all the Solo saws have 2 rings with the exception of their top handle 36cc, their little 36cc back handle and their model 644 pro saw. I don'y think the 644 is even avail. in the USA.

Piston rings

Tony,

I stand corrected. After rechecking, I found out that the 651 and the 651SP have 2 piston rings. The exploded view that I have is a little fuzzy and so are my eyes.

John

piched up a 634 solo at the flea today.
original chain ,with gauges never been touched. chains about half used up.
wont cut a lick ,but its obvious why.
appreciate an evaluation as to the value .just about like new.
i gave 50 for the saw w cover. thanks
ps also wonder if this is a 36 or 34 cc saw. she does turn high rpm
sorry for double posting as i didnt see my first post when i got back on the chainsaw forum

Last edited:
Back