Spark plug brands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone have any hard evidence that one brand is inferior to another? I have been using Champions just because they are more available locally.

I did see one example years ago where the Ford dealer broke open and showed me some Champions where he claimed the high energy ignitions were burning the little resistor springs inside. They were burnt up in there, leaving a huge gap for the voltage to have to jump. I don't know if their resistor plugs are still made with that little spring or not.

While I doubt if you'll get much response regarding hard evidence for major brand names, there is likely to be a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that some engines will do better with one brand over another, especially in two-strokes.

I have had no problem with Champions in anything recently, but several years ago I scammed a couple of boxes of Fram-Autolite equivalents to the Champion DJ-7y heat range. They fit in my weedwhacker and some old Homelites. I found that they don't last, and do not seem to give any warning when they fail; probably a similar problem to the champion problem you've cited. I've never broken one open to see. In fact I have about a dozen of them sitting in the shop untouched yet.

I've owned sevearl snomobiles that seemed to prefer one plug over another. Most liked Bosch or NGK, but I used to have a CCW in a Scorpion that liked Champions.

It was a good day yesterday, I finaly found a failed plug for the first time in 20 years, and that means over 100 saws.
My dealer pawned an 025 off on me for 30$ that was all covered in dust and gunk from sitting around for 2 years after a customer didnt come back for it.
Anyway, I cleaned it all up and it wouldnt fire, as in no spark.
So I took out the Champion plug that looked ok and replaced it with an NGK, and voila, it fired right up after I was thinking it might be more involved.
I opened up the face plate on the muffler and the lil sucker really gets up and talks. Will prolly outcut Jokers 026 :')
Anywho, I smell timber, so I hope to smash some ripe pumpkins real soon with a 35hp 385KD.
John

About 15 to 20 years back champion did have a major problem with there resistor plugs.It wasn't uncommon for me to find five bad ones out of eight new plugs.They changed there plug design and came out with there then new copper plus plug,after that I never experienced any more problems.
In my saws though,I run Bosch or NGK.
Later
Dan

To quote one wise old dude...

"I wouldn't screw a Champion plug into a bucket of dirt..."

concerning perceptable difference.
the only time ive had a situation where one was definitly not as good as another,
was when i replaced nkg 0plugs in a kohler command 20 hp. put champions in . took them rite back out and found some more nkg plugs. now there was no mistaken the lost power with the champion. why i dont know. i mean after all ,all the spark does is ignite the fuel air mix. but there was a lot o difference with the kohler. enough so that i buy other type plugs. i do have champions in some small 2 cycle stuff tho . works great.

Bosch for me. Come in a case of 10 or 12. Nice little box. Fits good inside my toolbox.

I can't offer any real insight other than the fact that a Bosch was the only plug I've ever had go bad. Aside from that, any plug usually works for me.

Anyone know "Tuner" brand plugs? I found one in the dirt a few years back, covered in rust and crud. Then a couple months ago I needed a plug for a saw and this one happened to be correct. Cleaned off the rust and crud, screwed it in, and she lit right up.

bosch

The reason I use only Bosch plugs came a few years back in 056s. We could not get the hestation out of a few of them, all in the same batch. Finally replaced the champion with Bosch, problem solved. This was the first and last time they came with champion in them.
I have a good supplier for Bosch, and am not willing to take the chance again.

I belive it has nothing to do with brand, but heat range is the kicker, new saws run much hotter than the good old hookers. I belive that NGK is on top of the new EPA engines.
NGK
NGK.
Slapnuts

Back