splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a myriad of reasons, I split everything with a maul and wedges. For those special chunks that I know won't go, I rip them down to size with a saw, or save them for a fireplace.

I use an 8lb hardware store maul with a fiberglass handle. I find it's a good weight for me. I can split all day long with it, and has that little extra oomph over a 6lber.

Last edited:
SOUTHBOUND

What is it about the FISKARs over the GERMAN one... Is it the extra 1 lb head?? I measured my 8 lb home depot sladge hammer - it was 31 inches.. I can NOT think of using a 28 or 27 inch handle splitter !!! I really was hoping to go the other way - 36 inches... as in the GERMAN one. Was thinking about the 36" handle with the 3 1/2 lb light head splitter...

Is it that the FISKARS cuts better ?? Feels better 2 you.. ??? What ??

SOUTHBOUND

What is it about the FISKARs over the GERMAN one... Is it the extra 1 lb head?? I measured my 8 lb home depot sladge hammer - it was 31 inches.. I can NOT think of using a 28 or 27 inch handle splitter !!! I really was hoping to go the other way - 36 inches... as in the GERMAN one. Was thinking about the 36" handle with the 3 1/2 lb light head splitter...

I haven't used the german one (but would like to) my fiskars splits awesome and cost about half as much. That works for me. And I like a shorter handle as I have a short wheelbase (30in inseam)

SOUTHBOUND

I was using a 8 pounder from Lowes when I decided to try something else.
I first went with the Fiskars simply because of the $. I used it on about a face cord worth of oak and maple. I am 6foot 2 and used a little taller round to split on. I liked it and thought to myself I bet the 2300 with a 36 inch handle would be even better. That is also why I got the hickory handle over the fiber one. When I got the 2300 I thought man this thing is heavy. Kinda more like a maul. So I went out the next time I had a chance with both splitting hammers. I cut a cord at least I think it was a cord 4.5 X 26 x 18 or so. Anyway I noticed it takes more effort with the 2300 than the Fiskars to achieve the same end result. The more fatigued I became the more I reached for the Fiskars. So The next day or so I went back to cut another cord this time I only used the 2300 on stuff you would want a real heavy maul. I was able to cut much faster and get more done in this manner..

It think is all in the shape of the wedge. The Fiskars is much thinner and a hole lot sharper while the 2300 is wider across the point and kinda dull to the touch..

Now one may be able to get a different head for the Vario. I would like to try the 1600G Scandinavian Splitting Axe head on the long handle. I may someday..

I guess to get back to the ?? For me the Fiskars out cuts the 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe.. Hands down...

This is just what I think may not be the same for others..

Good luck.

I use three 8-lb splitting wedges, a 10-lb sledge hammer, and an 8-lb maul for the smaller pieces after the sledge and wedge have done their job to halve the monster rounds.

Works for me for the splittable species.

Oh, and I avoid hand-splitting elm like the plague. :censored:

Was thinking about the 36" handle with the 3 1/2 lb light head splitter...

I have been using the usual store bought mauls and a longer handle would sure be nice. I'm 6'2" and it is a long bend to strike the round. Putting a large round up on a block is too much work so I just splitt the round where it lays.

With the Vario axes would there be any advantage switching the A head for B, C or E? I assume the steel is all the same just different head designs and weights. I'm splitting all the nasty wood elm, hackberry and mulberry.

Brian

Latest posts

Back