square filing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZinTrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
im looking into square filing chain, how much better/worse is it? I know its a little harder to learn but seems to have nicer results
I saw inbred jed using a regular old triangle file, and others using some weird mix between a flat and triangle file, does it really matter what file I use?

p.s, what are some good round files?

im looking into square filing chain, how much better/worse is it? I know its a little harder to learn but seems to have nicer results
I saw inbred jed using a regular old triangle file, and others using some weird mix between a flat and triangle file, does it really matter what file I use?

p.s, what are some good round files?
Oregon or Stihl makes good round files, personally I think square filing is too much work for an all-around chain but to each his own. You can use either a triangle file or a specialty file, it doesn't really matter provided you do it right.

ok, any round file size you recommend? Buckin billy ray uses a 3/16 on his small saws, I dont recall what he uses on the big saws, id imagine its the same
I am the wrong person to ask, but I'll do my best. I use 7/32 for .404 and tall/"fresh" 3/8 chains and I'll use 3/16 for used or shorter toothed 3/8 chains.

Inbred didn’t use a typical triangle file it looks like one but isn’t. A triangle with edges flat.

Attachments

• 01F8C6A4-6A7B-4B69-A289-196DAC38DF30.jpeg
    01F8C6A4-6A7B-4B69-A289-196DAC38DF30.jpeg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 30
Pferd is a good company that makes files for “square filing”. I did it for awhile but each file I could get was around 13 dollars a file. The technique was very hard to get down for me. I went though a couple different chains at work before I noticed a good sharpness. I will admit it cuts a helluva lot better. I do a mix of felling/bucking and slashing, and I gotta say I would really only want to use the square grind for falling and bucking. It seems to dull faster and at 13 bucks a file I wouldn’t want to do it if I was slashing a lot. That being said. If I could get my hands on a cheaper simington square grinder I’d just square grind all of my larger bars and call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like save edge myself, although they are a pain to get recently pferd is my second choice. I use a double bevel file for square grinds. The "triangle" style I have trouble keeping the angle right. Last file I got was around $7.00. Only have a few square chains on longer bars. Sure is a heck of a lot faster till it dulls out. Only use it in clean wood for that reason.

Square filing like any new technique takes practice & proper quality files . A triangle file is the old school file which is the easiest to begin with . The goofy file & double bevel flat files require a little more understanding of the edge or corner between the top & side plate edge . This is wear the working edges meet that allow the effective cutting & removal of wood chips . Square files are marginally to quite a bit more expensive depending on quality than regular round files . I religiously file around 15-20 chains a week for family , friends & customers . Routinely once a person cuts with square ground or hand filed chain they will never go back . In clean wood its night & day difference within the speed of the cut . More or less like full chisel vs semi chisel . The downside with square filed is that it tends to dull quicker in dirty wood , which reduces its rate of speed in the cut . That's is why during commercial cutting , where dirty wood can be quite common round filed or ground chain usage is preferred , since it can be quickly resharpened by any competent feller/ cutter . Not every Commercial saw operator has the expertise with a square file . However any competent chain saw owner can become a knowledgible & effective square filer within a weekends practise . My Uncle taught me when I was a teenager how to file both round & square equally as well within one fall cutting session on the farm . Another perk of square filed chain is within limbing & felling sessions , especially Humboldts & small spars . It cuts smooth but aggressively , with little kick back potential even with aggressive rakers .
Anyhow just thought I would lend my two cents . Inbred Jed & Buckin Billy have some practical resourceful sharpening video's on the subject on the web indicating the subtle difference within round & square tooth filing technuques ...Cheers ! :cheers:

Back