Starter rope kick back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstaton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On my 088, especially when warmed up, the recoil kickback will jerk the handle out of my hand. Is this normal for this saw? It doesn't do it all the time, and I make sure that the decompression valve is depressed. When it doesn't kickback, and it is warm, it starts on the first pull, and idles perfectly.

Also, this saw had an exhaust leak. I replaced the gasket after cleaning the mating surfaces. I believe I can still see a small exhaust leak. Is there a sealer that is recommended? Or did I miss a spot cleaning the mating surfaces.
Thanks for your help.

I've heard of decompression valves getting gunked up so that even if they stay in when you set them, they aren't releasing compression. It may even kick back out once the saw starts indicating that it's not completely plugged, but still, more so than not.

It also sounds like it could be timing problem. How long has it been doing this? When I first got my 111S, before I retimed it, the thing would jerk or break the rope as soon as the decomp went off.

I suppose that a lower-grade gas could also cause it to ignite prematurely.

If the timing is off, what would cause that, and how do I correct it. In other words, how do I set the timing. I have been told that it is fixed, no adjustment.
Thanks

Hi There, I have an 088 built by Ken Dunn, Ken says its about 12 hp., but I think its more like 22hp. Anyway Ken removed the choke baffle for more airflow, so I put a bit of fuel down its throut one a day to choke, if I put a bit to much it will kick, but only then.
It also has a 3120 piston in it for extra squish, so it will tell you how much potential it has to kick, but it never does, except as I stated earlier. I think the 088 is best drop started with no decomp. Just try to leave piston at TDC at the end of the day and it should start first pull in warmer weather the next day. If all else fails use a grip from a snowmobile, but not in the bush or it will get hung up and get you hurt.
Gypo

When I drop start it, no kick back! I have tried this many times. Same result. Put it on the ground and try to start it, kick back almost all the time when it is warm. I wonder if drop starting it provides a much faster initial cranking rpm. No matter, this saw sure does cut fast. I can't imagine how well your 088KD performs.

Latest posts

Back