Stihl 015L dripper, plus!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo019t

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
To make things easier trimming the zillions of small branches on a just cut red maple, I unearthed my trusty old Stihl 015L. Yes, I squirted a few drops of 40:1 mix in cylinder, and it started/ran great following second rope pull after spark plug was reinstalled. Checking a dry piece of ground, bar oil was being dispersed as it should be, too.
HOWEVER, after I sat the saw down, idling, when I picked it up I noted several HUGE drops of bar oil on ground. I ran it some more, and the same :( continued. I'd suggest the "drops" be in the 1/4-teaspoon size! And, there'd be several!
I took it to (Stihl) dealer who advised the saw (1974-or-1975) is soooo old parts are no longer available, and his guess is a gasket deteriorated? Advice given was, as long as chain is getting sufficient oil, just keep adding oil to its tank and continue using it -- draining any left over oil in tank after each use. Not a solution to make me happy.
Part of me suggests I disassemble saw a bit, and hopefully find/see the leak cause, and hopefully just tighten a screw or two?
BUT -- it seemed/seems smart to check with the seasoned pro's on this site -- YOUR thoughts/experiences with similar?
Thanks.
geo

".... draining any left over oil in tank after each use..."
---------------------------------
Not as bad as you might think, especially after you can find the location of the leak. Just store the saw on its left or right side, whichever works best. Then you may not have to drain out the bar oil.

To make things easier trimming the zillions of small branches on a just cut red maple, I unearthed my trusty old Stihl 015L. Yes, I squirted a few drops of 40:1 mix in cylinder, and it started/ran great following second rope pull after spark plug was reinstalled. Checking a dry piece of ground, bar oil was being dispersed as it should be, too.
HOWEVER, after I sat the saw down, idling, when I picked it up I noted several HUGE drops of bar oil on ground. I ran it some more, and the same :( continued. I'd suggest the "drops" be in the 1/4-teaspoon size! And, there'd be several!
I took it to (Stihl) dealer who advised the saw (1974-or-1975) is soooo old parts are no longer available, and his guess is a gasket deteriorated? Advice given was, as long as chain is getting sufficient oil, just keep adding oil to its tank and continue using it -- draining any left over oil in tank after each use. Not a solution to make me happy.
Part of me suggests I disassemble saw a bit, and hopefully find/see the leak cause, and hopefully just tighten a screw or two?
BUT -- it seemed/seems smart to check with the seasoned pro's on this site -- YOUR thoughts/experiences with similar?
Thanks.
geo
Any auto parts store you can find gasket material to make your own gasket

You can still find some parts, I .managed to get a complete gasket kit for an older 009.... On a 015 there is a small 5/6mm grub screw just on the side of the bar on the right looking back at the saw. This on mine worked loose and was lost and was just where the oil was coming out. Don't worry about parts, just find the right grub screw...

You can still find some parts, I .managed to get a complete gasket kit for an older 009.... On a 015 there is a small 5/6mm grub screw just on the side of the bar on the right looking back at the saw. This on mine worked loose and was lost and was just where the oil was coming out. Don't worry about parts, just find the right grub screw...

Good info! My 015 marks its territory, but is not bad enough for concern, Regarding the Stihler, it sounds like you found a fairly good one, but too lazy to fix it with non-factory parts, or or more likely, Stihl has their hands tied, and will fire them as a Stihler if they are found using anything not from the factory. The one I took mine to for the first minor problem in 40+ years told me to throw it away and spend $600 on a new one. I threw the Stihler away and kept the saw. Could that be related to why they are no longer in business? They were a long time Stihler. I did find an Ace Hdw further away that has competent and helpful people.

Latest posts

Back