Stihl 019T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always heard that the 019T was a saw to stay away from, due to the difficulty of working on it. I had the misfortune of having one fall in my lap this afternoon. I take care of a couple tree guys saws and he brought this one to me to get running. Well, it's reputation is well earned. I ended up having to completely dismantle the saw just to get the carb off of it. It's a clamshell engine with the reed cage and carb bolted to the front of it. Fortunately a trip through the ultrasonic cleaner had the carb working good again and the little saw lives to run again. This little saw is unlike any Stihl I've ever had to work on. Most Stihl saws are very easy to work on, even back to the earlier models. This one is certainly an exception.

The one I worked on(carb issues) is a friends who runs a tree service. Next time I climb for him I think I am going to use it and have an "oops" moment! Those things are the Ford Probes of the Stihl line-up.

i am in need of a climber saw and was considering a 019 that has less than 8 hours and looks like brand new on craigslist. the guy is asking 235 and wont come off his price. after reading that they are the ford probes of the stihl line up, as a mechanic, i now know i can't buy a 019 and i will probably wind up going to buy a 192t brand new.

I have had one for 13 years now and I have taken it aprt once to clean it and it is a great running saw. Don't let Brad scare you away.

His true love is with the 029 series:msp_lol:

Really the 019T is a good saw. yeah it take some work to get it apart but I have only had mine aprt once in 13 years so it must not be to bad of a unit.

i am in need of a climber saw and was considering a 019 that has less than 8 hours and looks like brand new on craigslist. the guy is asking 235 and wont come off his price. after reading that they are the ford probes of the stihl line up, as a mechanic, i now know i can't buy a 019 and i will probably wind up going to buy a 192t brand new.

For what kind of work? Removals or prunes? A 192 is ok for pruning but it lacks the snot for removals IMO. I despise the 019 mechanically and find it to be clunky and odd handling in general. Best to put it behind the truck tire when parked on a hill. 235 seems high on price to me as well. One fella I do work for has a couple Husky top handles and several 200t's and the Huskies just sit on the truck for the most part. If possible see if some other climbers will let you run what they are using. That way you can find what you like. You may like the 019. I doubt it, but anythings possible. lol :cheers:

Latest posts

Back