Stihl 028AV clutch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guy brings one in and says it needs a clutch. I asked why he thinks so and his answer was everything is loose.

Well, the drum bearing is out as well as the washer and e clip.

But there is a three sided piece of metal spot welded to the carrier, and it is broken in half and has come loose from the spot welds.

We don't have the clutch, and it is NLA . 1113 prefix version if it matters.

So, I put it back together without the spotted on piece of metal and it cuts fine.

But, they obviously put it in there for a reason.

What can happen ? I really don't see why the clutch drum won't keep the shoes in place.

Could tell him to buy an aftermarket clutch.

Guy brings one in and says it needs a clutch. I asked why he thinks so and his answer was everything is loose.

Well, the drum bearing is out as well as the washer and e clip.

But there is a three sided piece of metal spot welded to the carrier, and it is broken in half and has come loose from the spot welds.

We don't have the clutch, and it is NLA . 1113 prefix version if it matters.

So, I put it back together without the spotted on piece of metal and it cuts fine.

But, they obviously put it in there for a reason.

What can happen ? I really don't see why the clutch drum won't keep the shoes in place.

Could tell him to buy an aftermarket clutch.

Pictures would help they used several clutches on the early 028 series. prefix should be 1118.

I know all the real early stuff is NLA (second picture)

another early clutch assy, it looks like the one in the first picture.

Carrier in my IPL is 1118 160 2302, looks like #1 below Not sure if they interchange?

Pictures are from a member here? Which I saved

Early Service manual has some pictures too

028 clutch assy early.png028 clutch carrier early.png

This is an early assy, and a different earlier carrier I think parts for later ones can still be had

Attachments

• STIHL 028, 038 Service Manual copy.pdf
    13.6 MB · Views: 0
1113 is 031/032 is it not?
Bubba been at the saw before you?

Could be , but 8s can look like 3s, or an S on old parts. I'm to the point the reading glasses have to come out.

The real early clutches were on the first ones without chain brakes. Wonder if a 031/032 clutch was an upgrade for those?

I have an interest in 028s as a Super was my first Stihl, it still runs great. I tried to keep up on what parts worth saving from "carcasses". Last good find was a nearly complete Super with nice P/C I got in a box of parts including a a 024S, parts box was free with purchase of a 064.

Could be , but 8s can look like 3s, or an S on old parts. I'm to the point the reading glasses have to come out.

The real early clutches were on the first ones without chain brakes. Wonder if a 031/032 clutch was an upgrade for those?

I have an interest in 028s as a Super was my first Stihl, it still runs great. I tried to keep up on what parts worth saving from "carcasses". Last good find was a nearly complete Super with nice P/C I got in a box of parts including a a 024S, parts box was free with purchase of a 064.

None of the AV's are braked are they- when the super came about they got the brake- but just a brake like hand guard on the AV's with no internal parts to lock the drum.
Least that was the case of the ones we got here- I think there are 3 AV's and one Super in the shed, after work I could do a parts compare.

Pictures would help they used several clutches on the early 028 series. prefix should be 1118.

I know all the real early stuff is NLA (second picture)

another early clutch assy, it looks like the one in the first picture.

Carrier in my IPL is 1118 160 2302, looks like #1 below Not sure if they interchange?

Pictures are from a member here? Which I saved

Early Service manual has some pictures too

View attachment 1194672View attachment 1194673

This is an early assy, and a different earlier carrier I think parts for later ones can still be had

Top left corner is what I have. The spot welds which correspond to the grooves are what have broken loose.

I am a in a little of a pickle because I can't use some aftermarket, which would certainly work fine. Not my rules.

None of the AV's are braked are they- when the super came about they got the brake- but just a brake like hand guard on the AV's with no internal parts to lock the drum.
Least that was the case of the ones we got here- I think there are 3 AV's and one Super in the shed, after work I could do a parts compare.

I think the brakes first came on the 44mm AVs?

Would be interesting to see all the service bulletins for the 028s through the years. I've been trying to acquire those for the saws I have

Top left corner is what I have. The spot welds which correspond to the grooves are what have broken loose.

I am a in a little of a pickle because I can't use some aftermarket, which would certainly work fine. Not my rules.

The carrier might be the same as the newest ones. Somewhere along the line they changes the oil pump drive gear and associated parts.

The oil pump sprockets were in good shape.
So, it is all back together minus that triangle piece spotted to the clutch.

Newer clutches have a piece that wraps around they call a retainer. I'm assuming it is to keep the shoes from wandering out of place.

If it comes back I have a couple of clutches in my shop at home.

I'm thinking it will work fine without that retainer. We'll see.

Mine isn't. Has t he handguard that connects to nothing, but then I've never been fond of chain brakes anyway.

Well, the unanswered question is whether or not the retainer clips or in this case the spotted on retainer is an absolute necessity or if the clutch will function without them.

And, as is usually the case, if I don't know none of you do either.

In the immortal words, I pity the fool who comes here asking anything any more complicated than what oil should I run or whatever BS.

The retainer spotted on is good idea. Have never had one come off. Would be pretty simple to spot it back on.
As far as a different clutch working. I believe the center spider is the difference. Longer on the back side.
Would the retainers work? I will say no as they will interfere with the washer between the crank and clutch.
My opinion. Look for a used clutch or at least a center spider like what you halve. I would spot it back on for myself, but not a customer.

Latest posts

Back