Stihl 029 Cover Washer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slime

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 029 Super that I purchased new about 25 years ago. Serial # D 244006667. It stopped oiling, so I took the clutch off to check the plastic worm gear (which is worn and torn up.) The illustrated parts list for this saw shows a cover washer (part 1127 162 1000) that goes behind the clutch and over the worm gear. My saw does not have one. I spoke with a local Stihl dealer, and he said it probably did not come with one, and that if I put one on, it may interfere with the clutch. I have two questions...

1. Has anyone seen a Stihl 029 that did not have a cover washer, and if I put one on, could it interfere with clutch fitment?

2. Is there any way to test the oil pump with the worm gear off?

Usually the pump fails because it locks up and in the process buggers the worm . Or, something gets sliced from the clutch drum because the drum bearing is missing. See if it spins freely with your index finger.
Big thin washer should be in there to keep gunk from ruining your worm.

There are 2 different styles of clutches on an 029/290. One requires that big washer and one that doesn’t. I’ve owned both types.

Here is a pic from the service manual
Good to know. Little star indicates previous models. Wonder if you can just stick a 1127 clutch in place of a worn out 1125.

Usually the pump fails because it locks up and in the process buggers the worm . Or, something gets sliced from the clutch drum because the drum bearing is missing. See if it spins freely with your index finger.
Big thin washer should be in there to keep gunk from ruining your worm.
Thanks for the good information, ZeroJunk!

Latest posts

Back