Stihl 036 Pro - which bar/chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishaFL

Reaction score
I just got an 036 pro with an 18" bar on it. The only thing I can make out on the bar is "3/8". Its very worn.

I was also given a brand new in box .325 18" chain. 26 RM3 74

He also gave me a 20" bar pn 3003 008 6821.
and a 20" chain. 3639 005 0081. 26RS 81
both brand new.

What should I do to get things going. I'm going to assume it has a 7T 3/8 sprocket on it, but I have not looked yet.

I don't have any other saws of that size, so I dont care about having matching parts. I'm in FL, where we mostly cut oak trees and some pines/palms.

Can I put the 20" bar and chain on it and use it with the 3/8 sprocket? Obviously I want to order the right parts, but also a cat 5 hurricane headed right for me and no shops are open tomorrow and might need to use this thing to get off my property on Thursday.

You can run mis matched pitch bar/chain/sprocket but its going to destroy them in very short order...I would suggest a 18" .325 .063 setup for best speed/power/reach. with a 20" 3/8 it will cut well but it will be noticeably slower.

My impression is, the general consensus is, 60cc pro saws are well-served by 3/8 chain. That is also my belief.

Cookies is right that a .325 chain will pull easier.

I have found, the 036 to have plenty of yank running a 20" 3/8 chain in hardwood.

You don't mention if you own a 18" 3/8 chain which goes with your used bar. If so, I'd run that for the time being. If not, I'd look to buy one.

Rou

Latest posts

Back