Stihl 038 av super 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I firmly believe red lever saws were introduced only in 1993. If someone has a 94-95 red lever please by all means prove I’m wrong. Also doesn’t matter where the saw was made or assembled, they all had red lever in 1993. Also I don’t believe there are any German made 038 mag and mag 2 in the 90s, all Brazilian at that time.

I firmly believe red lever saws were introduced only in 1993. If someone has a 94-95 red lever please by all means prove I’m wrong. Also doesn’t matter where the saw was made or assembled, they all had red lever in 1993. Also I don’t believe there are any German made 038 mag and mag 2 in the 90s, all Brazilian at that time.
I don’t have any official documentation as to when red lever was introduced but what you say sounds right to me. Late 1992 through 1993 is what I’ve read. Do you know when production was changed from Germany to Brazil? I’m thinking early 90’s?

I absolutely wouldn’t pay $400 for that saw that’s ridiculous. If you’re gonna buy a 038 it’s mag or nothing. That’s my opinion anyway. They all weigh the same so you might as well get the big boy. All magnum versions of the 038 are 72cc. Mag II is early west german manufacture. Later was just magnum Brazil made. Could be some crossover but I’ve never seen a Brazil made mag II.

I got a number of nice condition 038S saws for free, that had been straight gassed.

Besides P/C and cylinder bolt pattern the super/magnum saws are the same. On conversions, the worst part is cleaning them up.

The first one I didn't get any pictures of but used a NOS/OEM Mahle P/C assy, with new OEM parts that were worn/or rubber. Bars were refurbished or new ES bars/RS chains/rims

The 2nd one I used an NOS Italian Tecomec P/C assy. Ports and plating on those cylinders were beautiful Both run like new magnums, and not much $$$ into either.

038StoMag.jpgthejugreadytogo.jpgthe jug.jpgexhaust.jpgtransfers.jpg

I got a number of nice condition 038S saws for free, that had been straight gassed.

Besides P/C and cylinder bolt pattern the super/magnum saws are the same. On conversions, the worst part is cleaning them up.

The first one I didn't get any pictures of but used a NOS/OEM Mahle P/C assy, with new OEM parts that were worn/or rubber. Bars were refurbished or new ES bars/RS chains/rims

The 2nd one I used an NOS Italian Tecomec P/C assy. Ports and plating on those cylinders were beautiful Both run like new magnums, and not much $$$ into either.

View attachment 1201115View attachment 1201116View attachment 1201117View attachment 1201118
Nothing wrong with that. I’ve heard good things about those old Tecomec top ends. One thing I am curious about though. I recall reading the 038 and 038S cylinders had same bolt pattern but mag is different? I’ve never done it myself so I have zero first hand experience in that department.

Nothing wrong with that. I’ve heard good things about those old Tecomec top ends. One thing I am curious about though. I recall reading the 038 and 038S cylinders had same bolt pattern but mag is different? I’ve never done it myself so I have zero first hand experience in that department.

Yes the 038 and 038S have same bolt patterns and are a direct bolt on. Shop manual states some early 038 case flats may need minor grinding on drive side case for cylinder base to clear. No problems there when I did 038S--->038M

For putting the 038M P/C on the 038S cases you need to slot the cylinder bolt holes to match the case, a 038M gasket makes a good template to mark it with. You also need to grind the cylinder a bit where the bolt heads seat, as the heads will interfere with the cylinder, and not thread into the case straight. A dremel works fine for that. Others have reported just turning the bolt heads down a bit.

I also opened up the access holes in the cylinder fins so the T27 torx can get at the bolt heads better. Used chain file chucked in a drill works well for that

Only other thing is match up ex casing with ex port, 038M port is wider. The Tilloston carbs on the supers are same size as the Bings. Early 038 carbs are smaller.

Latest posts

Back