Stihl 038 Mag II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlMS360

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

My dad gave me a Stihl 038 Mag II for Christmas this past year. I had never used a Stihl from that series before, but I really like this saw so far. I started out with cutting black walnut, then moved to some seasoned maple, and last I cut some red and white oak.

The saw has a 25" bar and a full chisel chain. Seems to have plenty of power and it doesn't big down or struggle going through the hard woods.

If you read this and you have experience with this saw I would appreciate any tips, tricks, common problems, and just your overall all review/experience.

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

My dad gave me a Stihl 038 Mag II for Christmas this past year. I had never used a Stihl from that series before, but I really like this saw so far. I started out with cutting black walnut, then moved to some seasoned maple, and last I cut some red and white oak.

The saw has a 25" bar and a full chisel chain. Seems to have plenty of power and it doesn't big down or struggle going through the hard woods.

If you read this and you have experience with this saw I would appreciate any tips, tricks, common problems, and just your overall all review/experience.
Not much to do with it other than basic saw maintenance. The mag2 has either a 2 or 3 port muffler so that’s taken care of. 24” is perfect for it.
Enjoy 😀

I have one…used it to cut a few trees… for me it is too slow and too heavy. Ergonomics are, meh, compared to other saws in that size. Back in the 80s, when they came out, we called them boat-anchors compared to the 266 Husky and later, 044 Stihl. But, they have a lot of torque so just cutting rounds from a straight log is no problem. I would not want to disassemble scraggly trees all day long with one :p

I have one…used it to cut a few trees… for me it is too slow and too heavy. Ergonomics are, meh, compared to other saws in that size. Back in the 80s, when they came out, we called them boat-anchors compared to the 266 Husky and later, 044 Stihl. But, they have a lot of torque so just cutting rounds from a straight log is no problem. I would not want to disassemble scraggly trees all day long with one :p
I second that, even for me at 18, I'll reach for a 271, 290, 310 or 390 well before I grab the 038 mag.

They're heavy af, I've got one. Really good saws, or atleast mine has been. Mine tore the manifold/intake boot, seems like that is a design flaw, so beware. Other than that, all I can say is you got a good saw, have fun!

That happens when the rubber AV mounts wear out. Owned at least one for > 35 years now.

I have a 038M and a couple 038S---->038M conversions.

A bit heavy but as reliable as the sun, with OEM parts.

Slinger, I'm getting old but if you can't sling a 038, you need weight training. I go with a 036 on small stuff. A 044 is only a 1 1/2pd pound lighter than a 038. But IMO a better built saw, the 038.

Yeah complaining about 038 mag being heavy while it’s only a pound plus different than the 044. I only bring them out when I cut bigger stuff, most small stuff I use my 009L, handle everything just fine. I love the design of the 038, if you notice newer saws are back to this round design already. OP, once in a while clean the carb (AF is not that great but you’ll never have to buy AF ever again) and you’re good to go. You have a great saw, treasure it!

Here are my gear for small trees. 038 mag and 009L. I want 056 mag for really really big stuff now.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpeg
    IMG_1436.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1437.jpeg
    IMG_1437.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Mine was used & a Farm Boss. I sold it after a couple years.
DSC04273.jpg

Latest posts

Back