Stihl 039 Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roostersgt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I finally got a deal on a burned up 290 class saw to build up. Several have fallen through over the past 6 months. This one is an actual 039, so no "upgrade' will be necessary. I'll probably be selling my other 039 cylinder and Golf piston/rings as this cylinder is a Mahle and is in great shape. I'll probably be going with an OEM piston / ring set. Bought this PHO for $80 with shipping from a guy in Spokane, Wa. Enough B.S., on with some pics.

The saw as it arrived.

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

I'm thinking the broken plastic on the case should be fixable with a bit of epoxy. Thoughts?

The oil pump was missing (as advertised) but it also had a torn oil line and cracked case/housing, in addition to 5 fins being broken off the flywheel. I'm guessing the fins broke off during shipping as the breaks looks really clean and fresh. The box was battered enough that my postal lady brought it to my door and apologized for its condition. Oh well.

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Cracked fuel line.
IMAG0161.jpg

Nice Mahle cylinder. It'll clean up easily with acid.
IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

All these parts were cleaned with my new electric power washer and a bit of "Gunk" and oven cleaner when needed.

I'll be ordering some new crank / oil seals from Northwood Saw and a new OEM impulse, oil and fuel line from my dealer buddy. I'll also have to find a used pre-filter and carb gromet. Already ordered a new oil pump / worm gear and flywheel off Ebay. I'll update new pics as this project progresses.

Last edited:
This is the picture of the flywheel and missing fins. The fin pieces were found under the starter recoil. BTW, the coil works fine. Had enough spark to get the saw to "pop" once I poured some mix down the carbs throat.

IMAG0163.jpg

This is a lousy picture of the piston which was lightly scored. Compression was very low and the rings were worn "flat".
tn4.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Im glad to see someone showing love to the 1127 series. I hate to clutter your posts but I want in. Keep up the good work.:rock:

This is the exhaust side of the piston. Light scoring, but the piston skirt is very thin on this side. Rings came off easily. No chance of just replacing just the rings, so I ordered new Cabers for the Golf piston I've had laying around. OEM takes a backseat for now.

IMAG01691.jpg

This is the intake side. Horizonatal machining marks are still present.

IMAG01701.jpg

Now comes the hard part. Waiting on all the parts to arrive so I can start the build.

New Golf piston installed, sans rings (Cabers on order). Looks very simialr to OEM. Good quality look. Hope it holds together. This is a new brand to me. I usually use Episan and have been happy with them so far.

IMAG0172.jpg

I epoxied the cracked plastic case from both sides. It doesn't show up that well as the epoxy is a clear to milky colored goop. Cleaned plastic near crack with carb cleaner soaked rag. Hope this epoxy stuff does the trick, otherwise new case time.

IMAG0174.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't replace the case unless it caused a problem.....

You're probably right. It's just my saw OCD kicking in. Most people would probably "punt" when faced with a saw like this with as many missing/broken parts. Gonna nickel and dime me to death. Oh well, another $200+ educational opportunity.

Here's the old OEM seals. They were a little dried out and hard to the touch. Surprizingly, the A/M ones from Northwood Saw were the same dimensions.

IMAG0176.jpg

The new A/M seals in place on the crank.

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

The "new" flywheel and oil pump came in. Just waiting on the rings and cylinder acid cleanup now. Perhaps Monday.

IMAG0178.jpg

Almost zero interest in clamshell saw rebuilds? With a GTG highlighting them? Screw it. I'll save myself the time and effort and let others take the time to post pictures and info for the new folk.

Almost zero interest in clamshell saw rebuilds? With a GTG highlighting them? Screw it. I'll save myself the time and effort and let others take the time to post pictures and info for the new folk.

I've noticed that to. I like seeing anything get rebuilt so I'm still entertained. At least put a pic or vid of it completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just now found the thread keep the pics coming! Does it take any sealant around outside of the seals when they go back in

That sir, is a false statement. There is plenty of interest in these rebuilds. Make sure the seals seat up against the cylinder. I use Dirko (I think that is what Stihl calls it) for the sealant. I'm heading out in a bit to finish another 290 up. Make sure you let it breathe after break in. I usually use Meteor pistons from Northwoods on these and I haven't used a Golf piston yet. Let us know how it holds up.

PS Thanks again for posting these detail pictures.

By the way, I usually put a touch of lithium grease on the seals and crank before I install them. It helps keep them lubricated when the crank spins and doesn't rip the seal. Just make sure you clean it off good on the flywheel side or you will break the keyway off.

I feel ya. Ive done some threads and got lillte intrest. It was frustrating to spend all that time taking pics and putting the thread together for a few to see. Keep up the posts Im watching and Im sure there are others watching that wont admit to liking 1127s. :laugh:

I'll be watching if you keep us updated. Just starting my first clamshell build (029) and can use all the tips and tricks the 1127 folks can shoot my way. BTW, a MS310 was my first "real" saw after abusing a Poulan 220 for a couple years learning what NOT to do with a chainsaw. Also have a real nice 039 I picked up 'cause the price was right, and, well....just because.:laugh:

Hell ya, man. Keep us posted. Looks good.

Here's my progress so far!

attachment.php

:cheers:

Poge

Yep I feel ya. Not much love for the clamshells. I did a thread on porting a MS390 that took a turn toward the off topic.......kept it alive though. :laugh:

I've never seen a saw respond to mods any better than the 1127 series. I've got a 029 that I'm looking for a 390 top end for. :rock:

I've never seen a saw respond to mods any better than the 1127 series.:rock:

Is that because of additional meat on the cylinders that isn't necessarily available to remove on other series jugs? I know a muffler mod works well and is real simple to do on these saws. Porting is still a bit beyond my current skillset, tho.

Stumpy did one a while back that seemed to yield results like you mention.

Poge

Last edited:
Is that because of additional meat on the cylinders that isn't necessarily available to remove on other series jugs? I know a muffler mod works well and is real simple to do on these saws. Porting is still a bit beyond my current skillset, tho.

Stumpy did one a while back that seemed to yield results like you mention.

Poge

They're just real stuffed up from the factory. Letting them breath works wonders.

Back