Stihl 040, to buy or not to buy??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostnut

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to pick up an 040 and an 031AV together for what seems to be a decent price. My concern is with the 040. Saw has compression and spark but fueling problems. I have not bought the saw yet and would like to know if carb parts/kits are still available for this 40+ year old beast.

Using the search function I see that there may be some interchangability between the 040 and 041, anyone know just how much? Any suggestions or specific things to look for?

Have an opportunity to pick up an 040 and an 031AV together for what seems to be a decent price. My concern is with the 040. Saw has compression and spark but fueling problems. I have not bought the saw yet and would like to know if carb parts/kits are still available for this 40+ year old beast.

Using the search function I see that there may be some interchangability between the 040 and 041, anyone know just how much? Any suggestions or specific things to look for?
yeah 040 is rare, and shares many parts with the 041. But if compression really is good, and it has spark - you're pretty much good to go. Might want to have a look at the P&C just in case (off with the muffler - a PITA on these), and maybe the intake block setup. That's these saws' biggest problem. Carb kit and fuel lines etc. should be still available.
Go get it!

Latest posts

Back