Stihl 042AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstan101

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I was givena Stihl 042AV in pieces and have almost completely reassembled it but the air box cover has brought my build to a standstill.
I cannot figure out how the hell it attaches to the saw. The cover has two captured nuts one on either side but no way to attach it.
I the Stihl IPL it shows studs on either side of tank body but apparently they are missing. I might not even have the correct cover for this saw.
here are a couple pics of the cover and body, hopefully one of you can shed some light on my dilemma with part number for correct cover or pics, anything would be greatly appreciated.20241017_133721.jpg20241016_135405.jpg

You have the wrong cover, or the wrong tank. Your cover has 2 special nuts that would thread to 2 studs on the correct tank. The cover you need has a quarter turn knob and latch that attaches to the air filter. Probably would be easier to find a tank than a cover.

Thank you for your prompt response. I was afraid of that, how does the other cover attach?
Do I have the wrong air cleaner as well, there are no internal thereads in the center aircleaner slotted nut to attach the cover you mention. I assume there would be a protruding threaded stud.

Outstanding! Thank you, I thought I would stop breathing befor I ever figured that out.
Have a great evening, oh yeah you wouldn't happen to have a part number for the correct part would ya? My Stihl IPL showed the cover you referenced but without a corresponding part number.

I don’t know if the cover has the part number on it, but I have an 042 here waiting in the wings for an overhaul, I will take pictures tomorrow and see if i can find numbers.

Back