Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezduzit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 044 new and wonder if I need to adjust the carb settings or should I have a service dealer do it or just leave it alone?

If you bought it new, the dealer should have started it up and checked it out for you. (this includes making sure the carb is set correctly).

If this was never done than have the dealer perform this task for you. A carb. that's out of adjustment in the "lean" direction can result in an overheat/over rev. situation and a very, very short saw life. These 044's are just too expensive to take any chances.

You can also check out the procedure at: http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Every time I bought a new saw, the dealer always set it up a little on the "rich" side. He told me to run 8 or 10 tanks of gas through it, then bring it back and he adjusted it with the tach. I think the break-in period is critical to the saw life. Also, by bringing the saw back, it helps to get a more personal touch between the dealer and consumer.

suggestion

If the dealer set it anywhere near right going out the door, it should be too rich and too fast of idle after a couple of tanks. I would take it back and ask him to set it.

I hope he lets it warm up before setting.

I set the high so it just cleans up, then back rich a little, then check with tach. I set the low just so it has enough fuel to accelerated thru mid speed, then se the idle crack screw.

Snydert

The way you describe is the optimal way to set up a saw in a perfect world. But unfortunately, the EPA has taken away our ability to adjust our carbs, for fear of us destroying the ozone! On all of the Stihl saws I've seen manufactured in the last 3 years or so, there is NO adjustment for the high end. Changing the factory setting involves disassembly of the carb and replacing the jet with another size jet.
I used to set up all of my saws myself. Now ya just gotta run them the way the factory set them up or leave it at a dealer for a couple days so they can charge you $75 or so. Option 3 is to buy several jets and spend an afternoon disassembling and reassembling the carb trying different jets untill it sounds right.:(

My experience with the jets is that I have yet to move more than 1 size up or down. This should be repaired BEFORE it leaves the shop. Any dealer will know right away if it is too rich or lean. If in doubt on new saw, take it back. That is what warranty is for.

Back