Stihl 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi-Hunter

Reaction score
Hi all, I am retired Arborist in New Zealand and have spent the last couple of days, surfing the net as they say, looking for a coil for my 084.
History of the saw is! I have had it from new and it hasn't done much work still has it's original bar and chains.
The 066 came along and it only came out for trees that you could lie down in the scarf! Which wasn't very often.
Was going to put it on an Alaskan mill but things changed.
Anyway my son got hold of it and the coil came lose and that was that.
It's sat for the last 15 years in the box.
Well thought I would find a coil and revive it as a retirement project.
All of that to say I ended up here.
Have started the 066 coil mod to see if that will get it running again.
At this point timing is out and couldn't get the fly wheel off.
So tomorrow will hopefully revisit it.
Would like to post a picture of it but haven't worked this out yet.

Perhaps you are a bit too old to whack it hard enough to get it off?

:baaa:

Seriously though.....
Loosen the nut one turn, then put an old socket on it to gain some height, to keep from accidently hitting the flywheel starter hub.
Then grab one of the fin vanes with pliers, and lift straight up whilst giving the nut a sharp flat whack. Once it's loose, put a pencil or screwdriver in the spark plug hole, and find TDC. Then lead the coil about an inch, or approximately 26º, and tighten it up. If it tries to yank the pull rope out of your hands, even with the deco valve pushed in, then you got a little too much timing advance. If it runs sluggish, then you aren't advanced enough.
Good luck down there.:D:D

Thanks, took it to a small chainsaw shop in the end and he tried and it's still there as I write.
Tomorrow he said he will pull it.
The flywheel is double key so hopefully it will be the other slot.
It's just pulled out of my hand which I am looking after best I can:).Thanks for the input.

Well, pulled the flywheel today and second pull it fired up after all these years and run sweet.
Couldn't be happier to hear that sound
Thanks to you guys and a fellow on YouTube who showed the mod, RME tree cutting and saw repairs! Got to give credit where it's due.
I wouldn't have got it going if not for the video and comments on this site.
☕

Good for you, 084 tends to have more advance on starting position than most big saws. Except for cs1200 and 1201 those are the worst. Anyway if you find it hard to pull 084 over, you can try this simple trick. Hold the decomp down while pulling, dont let it pop up while pulling. Thats how it kicks back, once it runs let go off the decomp and it should run fine

Latest posts

Back