stihl ms362c not mtronic 2009 has no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you checking for fire ?

If all else fails stick a nail in the spark plug boot and yank it while holding the nail with the side of your hand on the cylinder.
i held the bare sparkplug and at the same time ground it to the cylinder nothing was a bit nerves in doing this but had to be done

i held the bare sparkplug and at the same time ground it to the cylinder nothing was a bit nerves in doing this but had to be done
That is a little hard to do. Much easier to use some alligator clip jumpers. Or, an in line tester.

But, if the module is good you are going to have fire sometime even if it is wrong time. Even if it is the wrong flywheel. It will fire at some point in the revolution..

I have heard of bad flywheels, but never actually ran in to one.

That is a little hard to do. Much easier to use some alligator clip jumpers. Or, an in line tester.

But, if the module is good you are going to have fire sometime even if it is wrong time. Even if it is the wrong flywheel. It will fire at some point in the revolution..

I have heard of bad flywheels, but never actually ran in to one.
I had a bad flywheel on a saw a year ago, it is the only thing left if what he says is accurate. If the Coil is OEM and the part number matches and the kill is disconnected, then the flywheel is highly suspect! What say you guys?

I didn't comment on the OP's grammar, just the lack of capitalization and punctuation. Accuracy counts in life.
LOL, accuracy doesn't have anything to do with caps, punctuation, spelling or grammar. Most people on here are to busy to worry about it. Not everyone has a desktop keyboard in front of them or even a laptop. Even without a college degree or much education I understood and read it just fine without a complaint. Threads are written in a oral fashion on here not written like a novel. It's a lot faster than hitting a bunch of unnecessary screen symbols on a small screen with callous hands and fingers, dang I almost forgot my dot...

FWIW, I just got an MS362c into the shop today and the owner said it was not an M-Tronic saw. He was wrong. My question is how can anyone not know that the Stihl 362c they bought three years ago was not M-Tronic? Does anyone read the owners manual these days or listen to the dealer? Seems a bit strange to me.

Maybe OP has an M-Tronic Stihl saw and that is why he cannot detect a spark. Just a thought.

The biggest problem is that those of who do this for a living want our hands on it!
To recap- coil is grounded to case. Checked for spark with switch wire disconnected. (Try a second plug to be sure)
Plug wire not broken or chafed (new wire came with coil, correct?). Using the rewind started to spin motor when checking.
What are we missing?
If it was me, I would be trying another flywheel. Looks diagnosed from here.
Uncommon, but not impossible.
AND a picture is worth a thousand words.

FWIW, I just got an MS362c into the shop today and the owner said it was not an M-Tronic saw. He was wrong. My question is how can anyone not know that the Stihl 362c they bought three years ago was not M-Tronic? Does anyone read the owners manual these days or listen to the dealer? Seems a bit strange to me.

Maybe OP has an M-Tronic Stihl saw and that is why he cannot detect a spark. Just a thought.
Well maybe, didn't he say that there were 4 magnets on the flywheel? Does a standard 362 flywheel use 4 magnets?

LOL, accuracy doesn't have anything to do with caps, punctuation, spelling or grammar. Most people on here are to busy to worry about it. Not everyone has a desktop keyboard in front of them or even a laptop. Even without a college degree or much education I understood and read it just fine without a complaint. Threads are written in a oral fashion on here not written like a novel. It's a lot faster than hitting a bunch of unnecessary screen symbols on a small screen with callous hands and fingers, dang I almost forgot my dot...

Back