Stihl 088KD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Hi there, the 088KD by Ken really worked well in bringing home the bacon. I felled and bucked approx. 35,000 ft. of Maple Oak and Cherry. The saw used about twenty tanks of fuel in that time. This saw is so fast it made all the trees piss their roots.
Here is the last load from this job, or about 9,500 Doyle bf. or approx 45 tons of wood. Legal payload is 40 tons, but the scales were closed today.
Gypo

Congratulations big guy, that's quite a load of hardwood Gypo. Y'all missed that 4 footer on the ground there. Where is that timber headed? Another good article for "Stock -n- Chopped" 3120KD vs 088KD. Of course you would compare the two saws before Yoda and after. I like Marty's (chainsawworld) comparison of 372's and 044's. He used inches of lumber cut in 60 seconds or something. Don't spend it all in one place John...and if you do, take a lot of pictures. :)

Hi Mike, the slicer veneer goes to Ohio and the rotary veneer goes to Tiawan. The sawlogs go to local mills. Gross value on the truck pictured is approx. 20,000 CND. My log trucker Jay is one of the best around. You can set your clock by him.
Anyway, I was wondering if I should buy a Harley with my money or should I buy 30 more saws? Dennis says" just come to Clearwater", I say, "been there, done that."
Gypo

don't know John, kinda hard to drive that Harley in the snow. Suppose you could get one and make up a saddlebag that would holster that 88 and cruise on up to Clearwater anyway. Just to piss everybody off, ya know? It's been raining every evening here and 90 degrees. Gotta go and cut the grass I just got thru cutting.

3120 KD vs. 088 KD, same conditions and level of mods, 3120 wins. Easier to make more power. Ask the master for yourself.

Hey Gypo,My wife and I ride.We've been as far north in B.C. as Lake Louise.If you like to ride,you have some of the most beutiful country side I've seen.Kinda tuff toaten a big saw on a bike though.

I'm sure someone here could manufacture a spiffy little scabbard for John's 27.38HP 088 that would bolt right up on a new Harley. Lockable, even. :cool:
I don't think John would get a Harley, though. He'd have to wear eye protection if he rode one. :rolleyes:

Great job !

Personally I would save some of the money , about a 1/3, live on another 1/3 and bet something nice for the last 3rd. How long did it take you to get all this "job" done?

Hi Don, I think I had an honest 60 hrs. into the 35 thousand feet or 3 1/2 tractor trailers. I averaged about 5 hrs/day. I usually got started about noon and quite by 5 pm. I could have done it faster but it was very hot. I only ate one meal a day at supper, but drank lots of Tropicana with lots of pulp. For every tree I felled and skidded I smoked 2 cigarretes, so as you can see I was on a health kick.

Looks like you can afford some good safety glasses, there fella.

I'd come work for you but, A: You werk alone, and B:, my saws are too slow,

and C: Oh never mind....

Hi Steve, glad to hear you are getting an 088KD, you wont be disapointed. A lil fella like me would never entertain the thought of packing around so much dead weight if the saw was stock.
Ken will give you an extra 40% in your 088. What that means is, if you make a cut in 10 sec. with it stock it will make the same cut in 6 sec. once Ken has done the work.
Its not so much that we are in a race everytime we go to the woods, it is just that the cutting is so much more effortless, knowing that your saw is no longer constipated, retarded or held back to its own detriment.
Gypo

Good morning John,

Nice log's you got there,so has the JD been hungry lately or what,oh yeah hows the 088KD been treatin' ya??

Later Rob..

Steve
I'm pumped too, can't wait to get mine back,towards the end of September.Ken Dunn Rocks
@@@.gif
Seth

Hey Lambert - arent you going to have KD fix you up one of those 090s that you were scooping up a while back? It'd be interesting to see how that would stack up against the 088KD that you already have - a video of a woodtick like yourself dropstarting the beast would be icing on the cake

PS. are you going to run over your 385KD like you did your walkerized ?:angel:

Hi Otto, I dont think I'll try to drive the 385kd into the topsoil. Most of us are lucky enough to terminate at least 3 motors in our attempt to cut timber. Its generaly a thing of beauty when it happens.
Gyro

Latest posts

Back