Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Martin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Ken,
I see you got your computer problem corrected to send out the picture of my 090. I couldn't get mine to send out the attachment. I don't have a pipe on my saw because it has more than enough power and a pipe wouldn't give it more rpm's. I run a 1/2" pitch, full compliment, de-chromed chisel bit chain. I only run against one cylinder modified production saws, not against motorcycle, snowmobile, or car engines. Also laser beams would be unacceptable. I think my West Bend might have a slight edge with the right chain on it. Best regards.
Art Martin

Hi Huskyman,
My modified 090 rpm's are 11,000+, where a stock 090 is about 8,500 rpm's. The governer is removed and the flywheel has only 4 fins. Booster ports are added and are fed through a window in the side of the piston. The head gasket is removed and the timing is advanced. The carbureator is modified and the muffler is gutted and opened up. Other than that it's all stock.
Art Martin

Hello Huskyman,
What we usually do is cut the base of the barrel down to increase the compression and lower the squish clearance to about .025 to 030. Now uncle art is a sly old fox, he probably has a secret method that he's not willing to divulge to us.
Ken

Huskyman,
I use Permatex Ultra copper high temperature RTV silicon gasket maker. I think Ken uses a Yamaha bond called ThreeBond liquid gasket 1104. Both are equally good. Just a light film on both clean surfaces and then torque down to the maximum.
Art Martin

Huskyman,
I use 1 gal. 92 octane gasoline with Stihl 2.6 fl. oz. 50:1, 2 cycle oil. 1.0 ML TKZ two stroke power booster lead substitute to even out the detonation. 1.0 ML antifriction metal treatment to reduce friction, heat, and wear, also to lower the operating temperature and increase power.
Art Martin

Uncle Art's Bar

Hello seth,
Art built that bar from a blank piece of metal. filed the 1/2 inch racing chain also. I asked him if I could run it on my 3120 but he just smiled and never answered me. I took that as a no.
ken

Hello Ken
How's things goin out west.ya thats a sweet bar on Art's 090! Do you know the max rpm for stock 066 crankbearings? Seth

John,
I just got back from the Brownsville Logging Show and Sawracer ran my 090 and got first place. He ran against notables like Jim Taylor of E.S.P.N. fame and Dennis Harvey, world record holder in Albany, Oregon. Jon says it's always nice to win against those guys. He is heading up to Clearwater on Thursday and his brother Mike, Rupedoggy, is leaving on Tuesday. Mike also won first place in the 6.0 cu. in. category. I'm proud of those brothers since I was sort of instrumental in their inception into saw racing.
Art Martin

Hi Art, I'm glad to hear it. Hats off to John for placing first with your 090! Did you run into Ginger? And if so, what is she like in real life? I will be flying to Seattle on Tues. and will have a couple of your friend Kd's saws in hand sportin your chain, so I will do my best at Clearwater.
Thank you Dennis for the effort you have put forward to make this happen. I am looking forward to meeting the Rupley bro's.
My claim to fame will be putting a Kd piped 084 against Daniel Boulangiers piped 084 in August.
Keep the big chips flyin'
John

John,
Ginger was no-show but since is finnish, I'm sure she is charming, beautiful, sophisticated, interesting, intelligent, well educated, blond and blue eyed and also athletic. Don't forget I'm married to one.
Art Martin

Finnish girls are prettier

Hey RBtree, last, but not least, I failed to mention, it will be a pleasure to meet you at Clearwater or Enumclaw.

Art, please dont remind me of how beautiful the Finnish women are.
I havent figured out yet if the women of my dreams lives in Siberia, Finland or the Yukon, however it could possibly be the U.S of Eh!- as in Alaska or Monterey.
John

Art..glad to hear your saw kicked butt again!!:D Is that jon guy bringing it to clearwater?? I promise i wont spike his cuts:rolleyes: ...hehehe Gypo, I cant say i am looking forward to the hangover after you and Rotax leave...darn I hope its soon....lol...;) See all of you coming soon!!!

Dennis,
No Jon won't be bringing my 090 up to Clearwater because he didn't want to come up with the large deposit I require to take it out of my sight (the deed to his house). He will probably bring his own piped 090 though and my Poulan 655.
Art

Latest posts

Back