stihl carb wizard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcars2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
dug a flywheel out of a friends scrap pile today so no worries, but i would like to buy another used one if anyone has it.... well anyhoo, set carb at one turn each screw, very nice idle started second pull, but wont rev, no matter where you put the h screw. you very fat all the time above idle. tried to lean it out engine just surges real hard. there is a fine mist of fuel coming up from the carb when u try to rev it up. so now what. i dont get it, it has never idled this good but i cant get any rpm out of it. it went through a tank of fuel in about 7 minutes with me toying with it. i fyou let it idle for a minute or so , you can hit the throttle and it will try to take off but then starts sputtering and smoking. it is like something has happened during the flywheel replacement and now it is getting unmetered fuel somehow, very strange.

Last edited:
exhaust

Lake sure there are no restrictions in the exhaust. Screen, gasket out of place.
If it is clear, time to get a kit for the carburetor. Look for a loose welch plug.

I'm betting this is his 041, so ots probably the incorrect flywheel for that particular saw. try finding a whole electronic ignition, including flywheel, and replace it all as a set. the saw will idle, but it wont rev, so I'm betting since all settings have been tried on the carb that its ignition related.

yes it is the 041, weird it woul dbe ignition with the idle being almost perfect. not being a smarty, but how is a flywheel bad, tell me and ill check it.

badcars2 said:
yes it is the 041, weird it woul dbe ignition with the idle being almost perfect. not being a smarty, but how is a flywheel bad, tell me and ill check it.
I have only seen this twice in 20 years, weak magnets. If the machine ran fine and you changed the flywheel, now it runs poorly, this has to be considered. Incidentally, both times it occured on Stihl 066's for me. Did you check the key? Cheers.

Last edited:
took i tall back apart, guess who sheared the flywheel key. run get a handful, put back together. ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! set with tach to about 9000 rpm, sound about right, has a slight burble in it there. havent had it in any wood yet, may have to fatten it up just a tad. really thanks guys, all of the information was excellent. and remember lawn master dude, your opinion may be even more valuable than it appears. thanks again for helping guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badcars2 said:
took i tall back apart, guess who sheared the flywheel key. run get a handful, put back together. ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! set with tach to about 9000 rpm, sound about right, has a slight burble in it there. havent had it in any wood yet, may have to fatten it up just a tad. really thanks guys, all of the information was excellent. and remember lawn master dude, your opinion may be even more valuable than it appears. thanks again for helping guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aha, excellent. Have fun.

Latest posts

Back