Stihl Electric Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for an electric chainsaw to use indoors, wondering if anyone knows if there's much difference between the Stihl 180 & 220 electric.

Does anyone have a used one they'd want to sell? - Eric

electric

The biggest difference I see is the fact the 180 runs Picco chain and the 220 runs full 3/8 chain. The older version of it was equal to an 031 or 041 (the 220). I know the specs in the book read the same, but I think you will find heavy duty parts in the 220.
Kind of like the consumer and pro saw thing.

And NO I will not start that again!:rolleyes:

Stihltech

When you got a biginning chainsaw carver, what do you recommed to him?

I has such a fellow come in like the little 633 Solo but it was not appropriate because in runs that narrow curf chain and it only comes with the safety flippers between the cutters as far as I know. I didn't have bar to convert it to 3/8 N1C.

You can't hardly get good 1/4 pitch chain anymore, or bars, or sprockets.

Suggestions?

Tony,
Idunno about 1/4" bar and chain applications but I'd imagine an Echo 3450 would make a nice carving saw. The rear handle would be desirable for control.
Artwood should have better suggestions when he gets back here. The nerve of him, actually SLEEPING in the middle of the night! :rolleyes:

carving

I hate to say it, but an older 020 would be best to start with. I have had carvers use 009, 019,018,017, 020, MS200, 015, and 021.
I think it ends up being what feels good for the operator. The 190 and 200 if you like the top handle, the 009 if you dont want to spend much to start.
I keep a little 1/4 chain, but the price is getting tough to take. I would like to see the minioicco with no extra filler straps, but I doubt the safety police will let it happen.

You know, this fellow did say "to use indoors." I'm not sure I'd want to fire up an 020 in my house any more than a mower.

but for detailed out door work an 066 should work right???:D :D

Been away for a few days.
Tony - Any of the smaller cc saws work well for carving, the Echo 3450 is probably the most popular.
1/4 pitch isn't necessary but helps when doing a carving, chainsaw only, no other finishing tools.

I love my 066 for roughing!

Eric

Back