Stihl FS85R with pole saw attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydr

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried it or knows if it's possible to use the Kombi 37" shaft extension (part number 4140 710 7131) to get some extra reach. I have never looked at one up close but thought as long as it was the same size shaft and coupler, it might work upside down with or without minor modifications. If it's safe to use on the Kombi split shafts, I can't see why it would not be safe on the solid shaft as well.

Sorry, not an answer, but would like to know myself. I have a FS110R and when I bought it, the dealer gave me the Kombi shaft with the edger attached to it. I would like to know if I can couple the two with the chainsaw attachment I got to get more reach as you described. I just don't know anything about the coupler if there is one. I guess there's a coupler device of some sort for use with the Kombi, but I just got the shaft and the edger attached to it... Let us know what you find or I'm sure some good folks here will have an answer.

Just was looking at Stihl's site. They have very poor pictures of the Kombi. I guess I must go to my dealer and get a closer look... But, I did notice they have these.

HT Shaft Extension
Extends shaft by 37". No more than one extension should be added.

HT/HL CFK Shaft Extension
A 37" carbon fiber shaft extension for HT and HL applications. Extremely lightweight – less than 2 lbs

I would think they would work, but probably not recommended by Stihl for attaching to trimmers. Adds an additional 3 feet basically. My FS110R I would think has plenty of torque and power to run an extension like this with an attachment. But who knows...

Yes those are the Kombi shaft extensions I was referring to. I was wondering if you could mount it on the brush cutter shaft using the coupler end and mount the saw head over the open end. Kind of opposite the normal way.

If you do find a coupler to join your saw head using the original Kombi edger shaft, I would be interested in that as well since I haven't bought my saw head yet and I think they are pretty much the same price with or without the Kombi half shaft. I also have a FS106R which I think would handle the extended saw quite well since it's a pretty heavy and torquey machine.

My dealer once told me that i could bolt any of those fancy attachments to the end of my FS85R....edger, chainsaw, sickle bar thing lol etc etc. Not sure about the kombi shaft bolting to the current shaft and tube.

I wonder if you could just order a new coupling sleeve from a KM90 or KM110 Kombi engine and bolt it on the end of the trimmer/brushcutter shaft tube to accept the Kombi attachment? That might be simplest of all if it would work.

Edit: after looking up some parts lists, doesn't look so easy but could likely be done with the right mix of parts to join the 2 drive shafts inside.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back