Stihl ht 75 pole saw question............

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eat a peach

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have had a ht75 pole saw for a few years now .It has been a very good saw up until about a year ago. I have replaced the carb , the fuel lines and tank grommets and for a while it seems to run ok. I still have to feather the throttle somewhat to get it up to speed. I have a couple of questions for the brains of this outfit. The throttle cable ,can it get stretched,it seems to act like I am over squeezing it making the saw bog . This happens no matter how many adjustments I make . I have changed fuel filter also. If it can be stretched can it be retightened or does it need replacing? Also what type of lube does the shaft have? Graphite maybe? This may sound funny but it seems to run smoother with the shaft extended. Could it be binding up ? Any help is much appreciated.:bowdown:

I don't have that model pole saw however I have not encountered something of that general lay out, pole saw, brush cutter, weed whacker, string trimmer that didn't have an adjustment on the cable. Kind of like on a motorcycle clutch or brake before hydraulic came into being the norm. Whether the insides stretch or the sheath compresses will do the same thing. Strange you ask and also state you changed the carburetor.

About being hard to get to rev up generally I would think of the low speed carburetor adjustment. Are there limiters on the amount the adjustment screws can be turned?

It should be possible to remove the chain saw end and see if the shaft can be turned easily. It engages to the engine probably around 3000 rpm. Probably just nylon bushings, I have a model 131 but have not taken the pole apart and Stihl doesn't put their parts sheets out for the general public. If the shaft or the chain saw attachment doesn't turn easily that would make the problem you describe. A hedge clipper takes a bit more effort to get up to speed in my observation.

fran

had a friend change carb and heard horror stories about taking shaft apart. From my understanding it can really be a mess if you don't know how to go about it. My limited looks at the cable end looks like the end is pressed on. I haven't taken the handle apart.

had a friend change carb and heard horror stories about taking shaft apart. From my understanding it can really be a mess if you don't know how to go about it. My limited looks at the cable end looks like the end is pressed on. I haven't taken the handle apart.

Do not take that handle apart without taking pics!:msp_biggrin:

I have the same problem with an old brushcutter.Take the cable off hand operate the throttle runs perfect.The part of the throttle cable that is exposed was a little roughed up,no smooth action no smooth throttle .Any body make custom cables?

I have had a ht75 pole saw for a few years now .It has been a very good saw up until about a year ago. I have replaced the carb , the fuel lines and tank grommets and for a while it seems to run ok. I still have to feather the throttle somewhat to get it up to speed. I have a couple of questions for the brains of this outfit. The throttle cable ,can it get stretched,it seems to act like I am over squeezing it making the saw bog . This happens no matter how many adjustments I make . I have changed fuel filter also. If it can be stretched can it be retightened or does it need replacing? Also what type of lube does the shaft have? Graphite maybe? This may sound funny but it seems to run smoother with the shaft extended. Could it be binding up ? Any help is much appreciated.:bowdown:

I have rebuilt one of these, the cable is tensioned by a screw on the cable guide behind the carb and air box. The shaft inside does indeed need greasing with graphite, although the shaft is a PITA to get back together, so loosen the handle clamps, and remove the shaft from the engine, remove the saw head, pull the top half of the shaft out (from the top) and grease the inside and outside of the shaft, then replace, the next is the hard part! To remove and grease the bottom half, you can either remove the shaft by pulling it out the bottom to grease, and try to wiggle it back in, or undo the plastic joiner on the shaft, this will force the bearings and springs on the shaft out, grease them and push back together, using each bearing to hold the previous bearings and springs in. Each bearing has a groove in it, and will only fit in a certain way back into the pole

Before adjusting the cable, make sure nothing is preventing the throttle from opening and closing completely. I had a binding cable that wouldn't let the throttle close consistently; setting the L needle was impossible until I had that fixed.

If the handle\trigger is like a FS## trimmer, as I recall 2 of the screws are for clamps on the shaft and the others hold the halves of the plastic housing - leave the clamps
and remove the other screws.

The shaft I have no experience with.

Last edited:
We have wasp in the area that will pack their eggs in small openings. They did that on my blower and chain saw trimmer.
Look for dirt/mud packed into the exhaust opening. The saw may start but it will prevent the saw from coming up to power.

I've had a Stihl pole saw for a while now, its pretty bent out of shape now.

I always keep the rakers filed down, Stihl have low kickback on most of these chains. I always oil the bar by hand on the first run. Need to take apart the saw gearbox and grease it. The hedging attachment needs grease, It also has a locking pin when its not on a position setting.

Yes take photos if you take apart the shaft, on a big table. I guess it uses a high speed bearing grease. The drive tube assembly is a little tricky like a complex puzzle.

This site has a parts listing:http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ht-75/115bb7d6-e4d2-43da-8600/
http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ht-75/115bb7d6-e4d2-43da-8600/

Back