Stihl Light Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 25" Light bar for my MS400. Won't be used much, but for the occasional 3 ft tree I may need to cut. I have heard that they are noticably lighter and balance out well on the 400, but I have also heard these bars are bad about flexing and throwing chains. Yall had much experience with these? My old Rollomatics have never caused a minutes problem, so switching to a headache makes zero sense. By the way, the 400 is an awesome saw once broken in. I am on tank 6.

I purchased a 25” light bar for the 066 for regular use and love it so far. Haven’t thrown a chain or any other strange issues. It doesn’t flex that much but it is less rigid than a non-light bar. I have a 36” Oregon bar that weighs 100lbs but I use if rarely so I didn’t want to spend the coin on a light bar that size. Don’t regret it so far.

I purchased a 25” light bar for the 066 for regular use and love it so far. Haven’t thrown a chain or any other strange issues. It doesn’t flex that much but it is less rigid than a non-light bar. I have a 36” Oregon bar that weighs 100lbs but I use if rarely so I didn’t want to spend the coin on a light bar that size. Don’t regret it so far.
The nay sayers could be running dull chains for all I know, thanks for the input.

The E bar will save weight over a ES bar, and is the economical way to do it. They cost less than an ES bar and a lot less than a ES light bar. The ES Light bar really saves the weight. The 28" Light B&C is lighter than the 24" E B&C. The only downside is if you get the bar pinched from a bad cut, it may destroy the bar. You can't torque on them too much, this isn't a problem for experienced guys though.

I am thinking about getting a 25" Light bar for my MS400. Won't be used much, but for the occasional 3 ft tree I may need to cut. I have heard that they are noticably lighter and balance out well on the 400, but I have also heard these bars are bad about flexing and throwing chains. Yall had much experience with these? My old Rollomatics have never caused a minutes problem, so switching to a headache makes zero sense. By the way, the 400 is an awesome saw once broken in. I am on tank 6.
The longer 32"+ light bars tend to flex a fair bit and if you get it pinched bad they can either bend or just flex and throw the chain. I haven't done it yet and I use 28 and 32" bars most of the time. Awesome bars, big bucks but if you want the best I guess there is a premium to pay.

Also for what its worth, I was blown away when switching from a 25" to 32" Stihl light bar as the difference in weight was so minimal I could hardly tell. Seeing as most of my cutting involves bucking wood the weight of the saw in between bucks doesn't really get my attention but comparing it to a full weight bar at that length was unbelievable

I run a 25” ES light on my 362 for about 4 years now and have only thrown the chain once, not due the equipment but because the chain got loose, and I was angle cutting some green brush. I am about to buy another ES light bar for the 500i. Keeping the Granberg milling bar/chain mounted in the mill. Stihl bars are not headaches, but the new graphics are a bit of an eye sore. Lol.

Back