STIHL MS 400.1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been reading overseas. Even a stihl MS363 that seems to be like the MS400.1 but tunable carb. = The MS 400.1 comes as M-Tronic and the MS 363 identical as a carburettor model without M-Tronic, whereby I assume that the MS 363 will not be sold regularly in Germany.
Both with and without handle heating.
The 400.1 has reliable sources, 62ccm, no more 67ccm, since no magnesium piston is installed anymore but classic aluminum.

So sort of confirming last. But will only know once out.
Where are you seeing this stuff? I tried a search for both the 363 and 400.1. I git nothing for the 363 and only what I posted for the 400.1

I thought the same, I got one ordered to pick up from dealer next week. The newer version may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread but don’t want to miss out if the original was the sliced bread, per se.
So the plan came together, picked it up this afternoon to add to the collection. Plan to leave it un-started until the new version gets released and run thru it’s paces.

Attachments

• IMG_4181.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
The coming with hexa must be a fairly new thing. Mine didn't. Came with rs like every other saw I've bought from that shop.

It looks like in the US the MS 400 is actually still offered only with RS, so it is not at all a foregone conclusion that the new version in the States will offer a choice between RS and RH that exists in Europe.

To me hexa is another stihl gimmick. If going to pay square file prices for their file for hexa files.

Real old school square or round only 2 real choices to do.

Off the reel testing someone did.

Hexa file in middle of the 2 square file types.

Attachments

• hex.jpg
    hex.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 0
  • hextest.jpg
    hextest.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
  • hexac.png
    hexac.png
    147 KB · Views: 0
To me hexa is another stihl gimmick. If going to pay square file prices for their file for hexa files.

Real old school square or round only 2 real choices to do.

Off the reel testing someone did.

Hexa file in middle of the 2 square file types.
What saw did those numbers come from?
I have tried x cut and could not duplicate the factory grind. It seemed slower than my hand filed EX or RS after I filed it.
I must admit I was going by feel and not timing cuts.

What saw did those numbers come from?
I have tried x cut and could not duplicate the factory grind. It seemed slower than my hand filed EX or RS after I filed it.
I must admit I was going by feel and not timing cuts.
No clue saw testing come out long ago when chain was here in US 2 years ago or more.

Not going to go search for it again. But be my guest to do so yourself.

Hexa cuts a little bit better than round because it has a narrower chassis. If you use the hexa files on a round chain, it cuts exactly like round chain with the same vertical and top plate angles. I don’t see the advantage, especially with files near $20 each unless you have a hard time with a round file. The beauty of hexa is the ease of sharpening

Hexa cuts a little bit better than round because it has a narrower chassis. If you use the hexa files on a round chain, it cuts exactly like round chain with the same vertical and top plate angles. I don’t see the advantage, especially with files near $20 each unless you have a hard time with a round file. The beauty of hexa is the ease of sharpening
$20 is a bit much, but I would try it just because. As soon as they make it in skip.

Latest posts

Back