Stihl MS180C oiler problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lundeone

Reaction score
:confused:
The ms180c is one of the best running light weight saws we have ever used.
I know it is just a consumer saw and we are using it commercially in bucket trucks at an electric utility. We have 5 saws. They range from 1 to 3 years in age. All of the older ones have had pumps replaced, some more than once.
The duck bill oil tank vents are clear and working. We are using bar oil. I tried a new drive gear in one along with a new pump. It oils for a minute then quits. i loosen the oil cap and it oils again. I tried, in desperation, cutting off the tip of the vent valve just to see if that would help. Same thing! The sprocket notch is engaging the pump drive. I noted air bubbles when the oil stops. I haven't tried a new hose assy but may.
I wonder if there should be some kind of sealant applied to the pump cavity before tapping the pump in place. The pump outlet hole lines up and the pump gear is centered on the crankshaft PTO. Any ideas? My responses may be slow as I am away from the desk much of the time. Thanks

MS 180 c oler

I have a similar problem but seeing that your post has been on here for 5 years now with no response doesn't make me feel too good about my chances of a resolution coming from this forum. LOL :confused2:

I have a similar problem but seeing that your post has been on here for 5 years now with no response doesn't make me feel too good about my chances of a resolution coming from this forum. LOL :confused2:

Are you serious.?????

I am guessing not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You likely should keep moving, if you cannot walk across the yard with your eyes half open.......

Seriously, leave....

Well yeah, fish, I'm serious. I see you were a member for a few years before he posted his question and you only replied to blast somebody else. That was a lot of help, now wasn't it.
I'll continue looking for help on this site because it's obvious there are a lot of experienced guys (and probably some gals) on here and many of them have most likely seen these kind of issues before and it appears in my very short time here that most of them are very helpful. i think I've already seen the limits of your expertise. Thank you very much.

Well yeah, fish, I'm serious. I see you were a member for a few years before he posted his question and you only replied to blast somebody else. That was a lot of help, now wasn't it.
I'll continue looking for help on this site because it's obvious there are a lot of experienced guys (and probably some gals) on here and many of them have most likely seen these kind of issues before and it appears in my very short time here that most of them are very helpful. i think I've already seen the limits of your expertise. Thank you very much.

What was your former username???

I am usually the one that goes out on the limb first to root out the silly trolls, I gain some extra enemies that way as well, but you are obviously here for trouble.

Sorry fish, my first time here and your motives aren't at all clear but hey, thats ok.

For anyone else looking for the answers to the same kind of issue on the MS180C, I found what looks like will be a good solution in a thread started by chopper47 on 11-01-12 at 0418.
I'm new to this stuff so hopefully that will get you there.
Had the answers I needed to save myself a shop bill. Dealer told me I couldn't do it without a "special" tool and that I would be better off just buying a new saw.

Sorry fish, my first time here and your motives aren't at all clear but hey, thats ok.

For anyone else looking for the answers to the same kind of issue on the MS180C, I found what looks like will be a good solution in a thread started by chopper47 on 11-01-12 at 0418.
I'm new to this stuff so hopefully that will get you there.
Had the answers I needed to save myself a shop bill. Dealer told me I couldn't do it without a "special" tool and that I would be better off just buying a new saw.

Actually I have helped literally dozens of guys that come here with oiler problems, as well as much of the rest of these guys, so your
search was quite limited I guess.

Maybe it was your insultive first post. If you log off here for the night, a question can pop up, and be 3 pages back by morning.

BTW, it is very doubtful that you have to remove the oil pump. Just do my rinse/repeat method first.

I've been here quite a long time. Fish has some strong opinions at times, but no one can or should question whether he's been a help to MANY on this site including me. Fish is a qualified chain saw wrencher and is patient and willing to help newbies and experienced-bies alike.

A person who is new, inexperienced in the ways of the site, and going after one of the site's most generous contributors? I don't have any respect for THAT!

Last edited:
Nah, it was just that he came here, joined to do a search for his problem, and made a rash negative judgement about the site on the outcome of his first search.

I think the problem is that some of us will let some questions go past without responding because we have made the same response literally
dozens of times before.

I know we have tried the faq stickies etc. Maybe I will save some of these remedies on my puter, and just cut/paste.

Its not uncommon to find the hose #17 goes a bit hard, and can suck air where it seals to the housing.
Whilst you take that hose off, have a look at the orientation of the pump, there is a stamp of its correct position on the underside of the housing, you will see it when you remove the handle. or move it out the way by taking the plastic plugs out of the rubber av mounts, and gently removing the handle from the av mounts to give you easy access to the oil hose.
I have come across 2 now that had the pump move in the housing, and thus blocking the outlet port.
The depth of the pump is critical too, but first check the hose and pump orientation, and go from there.

Latest posts

Back