Stihl MS290 Big Bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally ordered the big bore kit (56cc -> 65cc) for the 7yo saw. Which is still running great. I just got this bug to do this.

If the nice weather holds out I might start in on this right away. Otherwise it will wait til spring. Also coming is a new carb, that I guess I will use. Only thing I might want to get is a new Intake Boot, just to be safe.

Doing the Project Husky 350 this past summer, gives me the confidence to do this. With the Husky I took a lot of short cuts (I didn't replace crank bearings, crank seals, left the carb as it was, etc.) to save time and money (it wasn't my saw, and I wasn't being paid). This project is going to be done right; everything is going to get taken apart, cleaned, inspected and if needed repaired or replaced.

:happybanana:

If you are using an AM cylinder and carb try to remember how you took it a part as you will be doing this again putting the OEM parts back. I have not had very good luck with AM cylinders and maybe 50% on the carbs. Look for good OEM used if you are buying.
No matter how many times he hears this, deaf ears...

I'm still waiting on my Chinesium for the 290 since October 3rd. The tracking number hasn't said anything different since I placed the order. A little sad because I finally have time to work on it today.

Sure it's risky but I fleshed out the order with with the needed carb, clutch and sprocket wearables, the needed bar stud to remove the engine and other misc parts to complete a worn saw that probaby should have been parted out. look at it like a cheap fun experiment, that hopefully goes well. If not I can throw the original top end back in and track down an oem carb.

Yeah there are lots of stories out there about the quality and longevity of these aftermarket parts. The other day, I was reading one scathing review of a similar big bore kit. "POS, the camshaft seized up in 5 minutes" LOL, the biggest critics often have limited or zero mechanical knowledge.

I did order a new intake boot for the build, from Amazon for $10 and change. For grins I looked at BaileysOnline.com for a Stihl OEM, and it was over $50. Really? OEM is 5 times more expensive, 5 times better(?), for a piece of rubber tubing.

I did order a new intake boot for the build, from Amazon for $10 and change. For grins I looked at BaileysOnline.com for a Stihl OEM, and it was over $50. Really? OEM is 5 times more expensive, 5 times better(?), for a piece of rubber tubing.

Yes, OEM is much better quality. I bought an aftermarket intake boot for my 025 and this is how it came out of the package. I'm lucky I noticed it. I found an OEM through another source and ordered it.

20180530_175248.jpg

The big bore kit has arrived. Wow! Compared to the Husky 350 Kit this is flawless. Almost like it is ported. Only a little bit of roughness at the intake and the exhaust cylinder edge, which will take about a minute to smooth out. Also a broken fin at the top, but of no real importance to me. I'll dremel that flat and nobody will be wiser to its original condition.

I was out for several hours this morning on 1st day of General Hunting season opening. Looks like this is not going to be a trivial hunt this year. This kit is 2nd to filling the freezer, so it is very likely that this is going to be a spring project.

Looks like @cuinrearview will have to wait a few months before he can nit pick everything I do different then himself. Which will no doubt be everything. :cool:

Back