Stihl MS440 piston with new rings wont go into cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to update you guys. I got it to work. I used some tiny screwdrivers to compress the rings. I've done several rebuilds since and haven't had a single problem with rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried everything mentioned above and i finally got the piston and rings into the cylinder. I never could get my set of ex-bore ring compressors to work. I had to install the top ring with a zip tie then remove the zip tie then install the second ring from the bottom and compress it with tiny screwdrivers and the cylinder went on. The set of ring compressors i bought came from ebay and included a piston holder and two piston stops. Has anyone had any luck with this type of ring compressor? The piston doesn't look to have too much wear on the skirt and the cylinder wasn't out of round. I have installed new bearings and crank seals too. Ive had to use parts from several saws to hopefully get a good one.
I tried everything mentioned above and i finally got the piston and rings into the cylinder. I never could get my set of ex-bore ring compressors to work. I had to install the top ring with a zip tie then remove the zip tie then install the second ring from the bottom and compress it with tiny screwdrivers and the cylinder went on. The set of ring compressors i bought came from ebay and included a piston holder and two piston stops. Has anyone had any luck with this type of ring compressor? The piston doesn't look to have too much wear on the skirt and the cylinder wasn't out of round. I have installed new bearings and crank seals too. Ive had to use parts from several saws to hopefully get a good one.
This type of ring compressor? If so it works perfect every timeIMG_1053.JPG super easy.

This type of ring compressor? If so it works perfect every timeView attachment 554893 super easy.

I use that type of ring compressor, on all my rebuilds. It works great. For some reason that one saw the rings were super stiff or something and it was hard to get them compressed enough. Once I got everything back together, the saw ran good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back