Stihl vs Carlton chain test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadtrees

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ran a test yesterday of a new Stihl 33RS chain vs a new Carlton A1LM chain. Five cuts each through a 12 inch dry oak log with my Stihl 038MAG. My daughter timed with a stopwatch. The Carlton was faster in each case and 1 second on average. The Carlton at 6.8 sec. and 7.8 sec. for the stihl. Dry oak does not cut fast. I did not touch up the chains as I know some guys do, right out of the box. The Stihl appeared to have the better factory grind, especially on the sideplate. I bought some Carlton loops from Bailey's and wanted to compare new chains.

how about some oregon for a benchmark? oregon LG i mean - that sounds like too much of a difference. All the Art Martin's chains that I have seen have been carlton - so maybe its better for speed - dont know...

its my opinion that this test could indicate that carlton sends a new chain out with a faster cutting angle.
could be stihls is set more for lasting. dont know this to be true. but i do believe the way a chain is set to cut,
determines this type thing more than anything else. jmo

Back