Stock and Chop Vol. 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Ok here is a recap of the first saws done..(saw shootout)

Erics stock 066 5.78 seconds

Stock 2171 8.35 seconds

RB's 488 9.68 (modified)

Johns 357 8.03 (modified)

Christians 372 5.71 (modified)

Now I will add a couple more

modified 346 8.59 (figure that out??)

modified 372 6.36 (not the same mods as CB's)

modified 394 4.50 (33" .404 bar, new chain)

I am amazed at the modified 346...in fact i did 5 cuts just to make sure the times were correct...I am wondering how the 357 will be broken in though..as Russ said..the breakin time on his was fairly long...

The 372 mods were slightly different than that of Christians...I wanted to note the differences...now i have to do the rest..will let you know the outcome...

The 394 is actually a saw I built about 5 months ago, and one of the guys just happened to be here getting a new chain...

Solo 633, 066, and 2171 next edition..

Last edited:
Dennis,
This weekend I will try to do a comparison of my 2149 G versus my stock 266. This would be a pretty close comparison to your 346 G versus stock 2171, although both will be running 18"-3/8". I have a lot of work to do up at the lake, but I'll try to squeeze it in. Maybe the piped versus muffled 3120 KD as well!

I loaned my 2149 G out to a good friend last weekend he runs a 262 husky and was just amazed at the power the 2149G produces, Dennis you may have yet another customer........ Once again sorry about the funny money mixup is every thing on its way back ??

Alright...its been plaguing (sp?) me all day today...how...even modified a 346 could come close to a stock 2171...that just shouldnt happen....now I didnt have the 2171 to cut with again, as its in pieces...but I figured it had to be dull chain..doesnt add up the way the saws cut against the stock 066..but?

so..I did the next best thing, as far as using the same chain with another stock 2171..I took a brand new roll and made two loops..one for the modified 346 and then one for the stock 2171... the 346G now cut an average of 10.5 seconds...and the 2171 cut an average of 8.52...which...is the same as Scotts 2171...then I took the 2171 and put on the same chain Scotts had used....once again...8.5 seconds....there was something about that one particular chain, on the 346G, that made it faster...goes to show stock chain is not all the same...and how test results can be swayed by this factor alone...

i also finished the mods on the other 372(modified) and came up with a 5.52 second average...same bar and chain as original tests..(saw shootout).

Eric..yep Express Post yesterday..

Last edited:
I think that I'm beginning to believe that short of full race mods to the motor, the chain may be at least 50% of the action.

Dennis, we have a problem, the 2171 should use 3/8 chain, and the 346 should only be able to use 325 chain, that would slow the 346 down for sure. try some 325 on the 2171 you could be suprized. Anyway it interesting, all your times. Got to go, got a show this weekend, and talk about some dull chain.

Dennis,
Its on its way back to ya Global Express should have it Thursday....

Hows the beast comming along .

Latest posts

Back