Stock and Chop Vol. 3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Erics 066 stock

14" Cottonwood 3 months old

stock 5.78 (avg 3 cuts)
modified 4.42 (avg 3 cuts)

I was hoping for a bit better gains but the 066 is the best "out of the box" saw there is .....we will see how it compares to the KD 385 when Eric runs it...I am sure that is a fantastic saw...

Scotts 2171 stock

same tree

Stock 8.50 (avg 3 cuts)
Modified 6.02 (avg 3 cuts)

I know this isnt as fast as the other 2 372's but its using the same bar and chain..and the first cut was thrown out...it was faster than the other 3, and in tune with the other 2....so i am thinking that i got something in the chain on the outcut...regardless the gains are pretty sweet I think....(the original first cut was 5.72)

Thanks for the update Dennis.........
I know you got all you could get and make it live so I'm happy and ready to start cutting .... Weather is just starting to change leafs are changing fast........

Ready to kick some husky buttttt LOL

Eric...I will give you the tracking number tomorrow night when I get home...Yours and Scotts got to the mail today....I tried a couple more things with each to see if there were any differences...

Then late this week I got hit with 3 372's to rebuild...straight gas in two, and a bottom end failure in the other...(1.5 yrs old..ill maintained) and now this Sat....2 brand new 385s to go out the door for Wednesday this week...and 1 for Friday...I shouldnt complain...but man..I hate workin weekends...lol...All new local (BC) customers going on the same job...in for 21 days and out for 7...

Should have everything done though...had some help in the store today doing all the little dirty jobs:D that take up the time...and he is coming back tomorrow to do the same....

Hey Dennis, see you`re burning the midnight oil. Those 385s, are you building each one or just setting them up as new saws? Pardon my asking if I`m being too nosy, just wondering in a ballpark sense how long it takes you to build one. Looks like you`ve got a full plate rebuilding all those 372s, then all the 385s, plus whatever else you`ve got on the bench. I was also wondering if you got a chance to make any "before" cuts with my 260 to compare with later? I hear you on the working weekends, gets to be a drag doesn`t it. Russ

Russ, the 385's are full woods mods...and each saw is a bit different...but I would have to say by the time everything is ported and polished..the re and re of the saw...8-10 hours...sometimes more...sometimes less...hence the late nights and weekends...

I did get a chance to do some before cuts with the 260, yes...dont remember them offhand...they are in my book though and I will post them when we get done...

Thanks for the insight Dennis, really illustrates how much work you`ve got on your plate right now. Also illustrates that while you are making a decent wage doing the saws, that you aren`t getting rich at it. Must be some other rewards like bringing out all the potential in a saw, in it for you. Russ

Dennis

"Out for 21 days and in for 7". Hmmmmmm......, sounds like Craig's winter crew. Looks like Alberta Arborists is gonna be running some hot new saws this winter!

Dennis once told me that it wasn't the enjoyment of working with the saws or making the money that brought him to his profession. The real reason was that when he came to AS he realized he'd just be another dub like me unless he had something to offer other than the usual 99% BS. I think he's maybe 30% towards his goal.

Russ,
Your rite when you hear about all the time that Dennis spends on a saw it makes you appreciate it a bit more .I know I do.......

Dennis let us know what you think of the 026. Like how it compares to the 2149 or the 346.
Looking forward to the 066...

Eric

Every saw that we build...becomes a personal item...we want them to be perfect...that is why the time is spent on them...Ken and I both discussed putting out, for example, a 150.00 saw...but I know from personal experience, that I cant just leave it at that...I cannot leave a job half done...When I am porting...I want to port it to where its perfect...and that is different on every saw...I mean we could just sell barrels...but there are problems that are encountered with just putting on a modified barrel....

I ran into a similar problem just very recently...I got a saw from one of our members here...but no bar and chain..and I didnt have one...so, I built the saw...broke it in....set it up as good as could be without bar and chain...he got it home....and it wouldnt run properly while cutting...so I got him to send it back with the bar and chain....after cutting with it...I realized the same problem he was describing...i found the problem after tearing the saw down again...factory defect in the cylinder housing....the base was warped...turned it down....saw runs perfect....

Now that was my fault...i should have gotten the bar and chain and run the saw.....and I would have found the problem before he recieved it...same as just doing a barrel...or any other aspect of the saw...i want the saw in my hands to know for sure that it runs perfect...

Ok...enough ranting...lol...

Very nice job on that muffler Dennis, took me a minute to see the hoods there. Were you able to incorporate screens in that design? Russ

066 modified muffler

Hello mr. greffard,
nice looking 066 muffler. I see you've stolen my 394 deflector shield and screen idea. its a much better idea than those two tubes. the size is also condusive to brtter power output. keep up the good work.
ken
[email protected]

Dennis,
Everything looks terrific as usual... I appreciate your hard work and dedication to job......
Can't wait to get my hands on it, Break it in on some 30" oak I have been saving and go kick some husky butt LOL !!!!!!.

This will be my third saw by Dennis ...... Boys it's worth the cash.
You would be amazed.... He makes them a pure joy

that he does - some great work. The results are; the saws start immediately and run smooth and spool up quick. Best of all they kick a$$!!!!!!!!:D

Back