Stole An MS660 On eBay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Burning Rom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I still can't believe this happened, but I definitely must have committed a felony at some point in this purchase :greenchainsaw:

I picked up an MS660 on eBay last week for the low low price of $340 shipped to my door (well, my parents door...since I don't have a parts washer out here in CT). The saw is a little over two years old. Was listed as a good clean saw that was "locked up". So I thought...win it...big bore it...let the chips fly.

Fast forward a few days...the saw arrived this morning at the house in WI. I called my dad tonight...had him open it...check it out. Said it all looked good. I told him it was locked up, but that a big bore kit was cheap and it would be a killer saw when finished. HOWEVER, I had a hunch it may have been something more simple than a fried P&C/bearing, so I asked him to tear it down and check it out. So he hung up, and tore the saw down. He called me back about an hour later and told me I was right....:) P&C are fine. The whole saw is fine. There was a cover screw that was digging into the poly flywheel......that's what was "locking it up". So, no big bore kit needed....for now. I'm definitely even more pleased and excited than I originally was about this saw. I'm going to pick up a dual port muffler cover and some new plastic shrouds...maybe new rubber for the 3/4 wrap...and a new dog set, since one is missing. Can't wait until I'm home in November for some firewood cutting :cheers:

Here's a few pics that were taken before it went into the parts washer:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The whole saw is fine. There was a cover screw that was digging into the poly flywheel......that's what was "locking it up".

Ha!

I've seen this before, too. All saw mechanics should beware that on many Stihls, you must use a short screw for the front most top cover screw or it hits the flywheel.

Don't ya just love those steal deals!

Jimbo

Yea, I've seen that happen on a 660 also. Well actually an 066 but yea, feels just like it's locked up till you realize you used the wrong screw.

I know this cause I'm the one who did it..

So yea, you stole that one! Ship it to me immediatly so I can get rid of it for you before the saw comes to pick you up:clap:

Ha!

I've seen this before, too. All saw mechanics should beware that on many Stihls, you must use a short screw for the front most top cover screw or it hits the flywheel.

Don't ya just love those steal deals!

Jimbo

That is not a design fault - more like the old expression "operator error" (does anyone remember who used do say that, in the old days?) :givebeer:

What did that saw have to do in the "parts washer" - looked clean enough as was???

All used saws hit the parts washer first. That way they don't make a mess on the work bench. Every saw hits the parts washer after a day's work as well...they're easiest to clean when the build-up is still fresh.

Very nice!! You could double you money on that one!:clap:

I thought about it, but I've wanted an 066/660 for a while now. BTW, I do believe you are the one I purchased an 048 from, if in fact your eBay username is the same as your AS username :)

Did that errant screw chew up the flywheel?Nice saw.

That was the first question I asked my dad, and he told me there were a few very very small marks on a couple fins, but that was it.

Latest posts

Back