TADPOLES!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birds eat them ,how about Herons? A net will help above the pond.
I have a shade over the ponds.
fishpond shade062224.JPG

I have an aquarium in the shed someone gave me a few months ago, same one who gave me the tad tank.
I thought about setting it up to save the last three, but it only took a minute to say, "No way."
I'm not fooling with an aquarium. Besides they wouldn't be happy in that.

Of course they won't be happy being someone's dinner either, but... :dizzy:...

I suppose it could be a snake.
I saw one last year in the frog pond - that sucker had to be at least 5' long.

Yes, some snakes in Tennessee eat fish, including water snakes, cottonmouths, garter snakes, and racers. These snakes are often found near water sources and are good swimmers. Their diets can include non-game fish, crayfish, frogs, and toads. Snakes typically overpower their prey by grabbing it with their jaws and swallowing it whole

Bad day for fish. I don't see any left in the pond.:nofunny:
Cat woke me up at 4:30 this morning and we did a stake out by the fish pond. My flashlight hit the eyes of something in the wooded area and I saw it turn and scramble away. Definitely a mammal, maybe a feral cat, but the size, shape and color of a coon - but in 30 years I've never seen one around here.

But, it's a great year for frogs!:)
The tads are doing well and growing FAST. Don't see any legs on them yet.

I did find this little guy on my back porch just now - so tiny I thought it was a piece of a leaf! :oops: Smaller than the one I saw in the garden the other day.
Looks like this guy still has a tad bit of his tad tail left.:yes:
I saw his mama by the porch light last night, about 2".

Still none I've seen could possibly be big enough to eat 9 5"-6" goldfish!

DSC00161.JPG
DSC00163.JPG

View attachment 1188141
They love gold fish. And feed at night.
It has to be a nocturnal critter.
And whatever it is, it knocked over the iris clump I took out and stood up yesterday in the pond when I was looking for the fish. It would take something with heft to knock that over... even a fish fight with a frog or snake I don't think could have done that. And the fence wasn't knocked over. Coons are pretty crafty critters.
Still - I have never seen one here before.
Always a first time for everything.

They're wrong about what tadpoles eat.
They're chowing down on a little dead frog. :eek: Fighting over it, actually.
Ferocious critters - it's a good thing they're so small or humans wouldn't have a chance!

Latest posts

Back