Tarp vs No Tarp over split Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an old pool cover,cut down the middle makes for a 80 foot long stack :msp_smile:

I was wondering if you only cover the top,the sides would get wet....no?
It rains sidways around here..:D

I use an old pool cover,cut down the middle makes for a 80 foot long stack :msp_smile:

I was wondering if you only cover the top,the sides would get wet....no?
It rains sidways around here..:D

This time of year I'll cover the top but never the sides

I recently found some rolls of rubber on CL, bout 2' wide (I cut 22" long) x 25' long, 1/2" thick. Should last forever, don't need to worry about them blowing off anytime soon either! :msp_thumbsup:
I plan on covering the 2013-2014 stacks with it. This years wood is under the shed roof already.

Our personal wood is in a shed open on three sides. Outside, I have fifty cord seasoning, stacked in racks with 18" between rows. On the top, the bark loosens, leaves collect, and moisture stays, so I am beginning to see some deterioration in two years. Below the top level the Oak is well seasoned with some fungus on the ends. Last weekend I covered the top with two 30' x 50' tarps, somewhat overlapped end for end. The sides are not covered more than 6". I then poked holes after two days of rain to relieve the larger pools of water. Black/grey, black side up. I did not want to cover it, but after the rain I think it will be better, and open enough to the wind. I am in a Beech/Oak woods and don't get enough sun to dry things out, relying more on wind and time. Once things freeze the tarps may not drain and start tearing. Find out soon enough. I have over one hundred 1/3 cord racks to cover, plus larger ones. To cover them individually would be a lot. And, I don't really know how to do so to keep the covers from blowing and in place. A pole barn, or hay barn, is not an option.

Is there any way to seam an edge of tarp material with twine or cord in it to keep the edges down and in place on individual racks?

Del; The stuff in the shed is good, lots of overhang. The majority is outside stacked in the wooded side yard. Changed phones, and not sure how to post photos from it yet. A wood shed is definitely the way to go. No rain, no snow, no frozen clumps of wood to knock a part, no tarps to pull back or dig under. Just can't have everything I want. First, I need a truck for deliveries. That's another thread.

Clear 6mil plastic just on top of my stacks.
Stapled inplace and maybe 6" down the side.

After two months like that the top two or three rows look 6 month cured and crazy dry with detached bark.
UV treated greenhouse poly will last outdoors around 8 years, regular 6mil construction poly 2 years.

Best thing i ever cured wood with was an old hoop house/greenhouse, sides covered in clear poly with both ends open to the air pallets underneath wood stacks.
Very quick cure times and very dry wood that way and 0 bugs on such dry wood.

Last edited:
No tarps for me ;)

MVC-019S_20.JPG

Kevin in Ohio,

I have a barn that looks just like yours.
Mine is full of silver maple to the rafters, hard to move around in my barn. LOL

I really got to start burning more silver maple so i can get things back in my barn :)

Kevin in Ohio,

I have a barn that looks just like yours.
Mine is full of silver maple to the rafters, hard to move around in my barn. LOL

I really got to start burning more silver maple so i can get things back in my barn :)

Simple solution. Find another shed and fill, repaet process.repeat process ;)

87818d1232828727-mvc-029s-jpg

87819d1232828727-mvc-030s-jpg

I'm down to 160 cord ;(

I am using tarps to cover the tops and drape over the sides about 6" to allow rain to run off. The best deal I found on tarps is at Walmart. They have 10x12 10mm silver / brown (I dont want giant blue tarps in my yard) for $13. I like using a few smaller ones so I can move and adjust as needed. Plus they ended up cheaper than a giant tarp.

Kevin in Ohio,

LOL it's a good plan :)

So when the ice age comes we will be the only two with warmth :)

Last edited:
Kevin in Ohio,

LOL it's a good plan :)

So when the ice age comes we will be the only two with warmth :)

When we first started we were on the other side of having enough. As the years rolled by built a reputation for good clean ups and no land damage when removing the wood. Basically caring about others property. Word of mouth has us turning down stuff as we can't keep up with our own now that we have our own woods.

Your comment reminds me of what my Dad always says, "The best part about getting firewood is, it warms you twice."

Last edited:
Kevin in Ohio,

I work for a couple different tree removal services for 3 months a year so i understand lots of wood in a short period of time :)

Silver maple for me is something i can only mix in sales wood to about 5% so the silver maple just stacks up over time.
Bet I'm about 40 cord of it in my barn. (silver maple special sale soon me thinks)
Also have 32 cord of personal real nice hardwood and always about 40- 50 cord of sales stacks.

So you still have more than me but my ice patch will stay open for a very long time LOL

I hear what your dad says, no fear of getting cool creating firewood.

Last edited:
HOLY SHNIKYS!!! :waaaht: That's like 10 years (or more) of heat even with a OWB!!!

now I have FED (firewood envy disorder)

There are 2 of us(Dad and I) and we use 20 cord a year as our sole source of heat so we're 8 years ahead.

"My name is Kevin and I have a problem." I as stand up in my first FED meeting. :surrender:

Nice problem to have though!

Latest posts

Back