Tear in Stihl pro white handles; best fix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
I got an 044 that has a tear/crack on the base of the white handle about a half inch long. No biggie, but what is the best way to mend this type of plastic? J-B Weld? Plastic Epoxy? Boat hull epoxy?

Last edited:
Assuming your talking about the flat area on the bottom, where it's rumored guys place their foot while starting :monkey: ... Stop drill it, degreaser, rough up with soldering iron on the back, tack weld with soldering iron, fill back with JB, sand off.

Assuming your talking about the flat area on the bottom, where it's rumored guys place their foot while starting :monkey: ... Stop drill it, degreaser, rough up with soldering iron on the back, tack weld with soldering iron, fill back with JB, sand off.

Yep, its along the flat area on the bottom, mid-length along the topside (right side with bar pointing away from you)... where narry a foot has been. No decomp on this one, have to drop start it. I will do the soldering iron thing. Have to find the soldering iron though. I have the J-B Weld.

Thanks much!!!

OT, but do you have the elasto-start on it? I don't care what the "other" brand promoters have to say about it, the elasto-start kicks butt, just like our PGH Stihlers did! (OK, also OT)

I have two 044s, both with the old style handle. One cracked just a little, and one mint. Not that I would EVER perform a staring procedure that isn't recommended in my operators manual, but with the elasto-start, I could care less about a compression release!

No elasto-start, but this one has a chipped starter handle at the base and it tends to flop over after starting. I may get an elasto-start handle for it now that you mention it.

Latest posts

Back