Thicker bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
(yes, I searched first...) Now that it's warm out, my PS-401 drains the bar oil well before the fuel tank is empty. There's no adjustment, so a thicker bar oil seems the answer. Is there an additive that will do this? Or, what's the thickest bar oil?

What are you currently using for bar and chain lube??

We Sell Dolmar (By Spectrum) 30 weight and have no problems..

Scott

add a bottle of STP oil additive to a gallon of bar oil.

129320_front200.jpg

I've heard of the STP trick before, works good. We have a local company up here that makes some super thick bar and chain oil. You can get it locally at any saw shop,but i don't know if they distibute it that far away or not.

This week I used the green-bottle Poulan stuff from wallyworld, Power Care from home depot, Castrol 10W40 and 20W50, and see no difference between them.

I know the Green Poulan Oil will run thru it like WATER also the 10 or 20 wt motor oils will do the same. TRY 30 Weight Bar and Chain LUBE from Dolmar or Husky both made by Spectrum also thier own label save-a-chain. I have no knowledge about the powercare by home depot.

Scott

Thanks Scott, but with no local Dolmar or Husky dealer, those are out. The Poulan and HD stuff are both 30W, it's printed in tiny letters on the back. I'll see if I can find the STP stuff locally.

You don't have any places that sell chainsaws, trimmers, mowers, etc. near where you live?? Besides Walmart and HD?

I use Echo bar oil and it's pretty thick I guess ...

This week I used the green-bottle Poulan stuff from wallyworld, Power Care from home depot, Castrol 10W40 and 20W50, and see no difference between them.

I try to save money also, but will never run Wally-World poulan oil again.

First jug I ever tried , seemed that the bar was running hot on my MS-660, went to check the pick-up screen and pulling the oil-fill cap, that pizz was foaming!

Just my .02 cents worth, but I think that Stihl bar oil is as good as it gets. I am thinking about getting a couple cases of Motion Lotion, if anyone can recommend it as noticeable better then Stihl oil?

Locally, I would rate

Stihl Bar oil

Husky - Echo (power-blend)

Auto oils (10w-40 ect)

Fish Slim

Veggie oil

and way lower on the list ,,,,

Poulan Driveway dust controller!

You don't have any places that sell chainsaws, trimmers, mowers, etc. near where you live?? Besides Walmart and HD?
I didn't say that... the question I answered was about Dolmar and Husky dealers. I've ran Stihl bar oil before and saw no noticeable difference in flow. I don't want to start another bar oil pissing contest, the question is only about slowing down the flow a tad. They all of these seem to lube just fine.

(yes, I searched first...) Now that it's warm out, my PS-401 drains the bar oil well before the fuel tank is empty. There's no adjustment, so a thicker bar oil seems the answer. Is there an additive that will do this? Or, what's the thickest bar oil?

No bar/chain oiler adjustment? Sounds like the perfect excuse for a new saw.:hmm3grin2orange:

I didn't say that... the question I answered was about Dolmar and Husky dealers. I've ran Stihl bar oil before and saw no noticeable difference in flow. I don't want to start another bar oil pissing contest, the question is only about slowing down the flow a tad. They all of these seem to lube just fine.

My point was that different oils flow differently. With my Poulan, some types of bar oil will spray out so much that it gets all over my legs, the top of the saw, its just crazy. But other oil that has a thicker consistency works just fine.

It's either that or add thick stuff to the oil.

Cool ideas

I like the STP idea. Pick it up at the auto store.

There is such a thing as 40W motor oil (straight visc) hard to find.

I have had decent performance with 30W bar oil. I have adjustable oilers, and they are cranked all the way up.

The easy solution (replace the saw) works as well.

-pat:laugh:

My understanding is that one difference between motor oil and "bar" oil is that the motor oil has addtitives that are more harmful to the environment.

Even with "bar" oil, I cringe to think about how many gallons I've spewn out on this spaceship earth. I'm told that there are some microbes that eat it in small doses...

I have unused motor oils (like 30 wt) from previous machines I've had that I have always been meaning to get rid of. I wouldln't consider pouring it on the ground, and thus I am not comfortable running through the saw.

My understanding is that one difference between motor oil and "bar" oil is that the motor oil has addtitives that are more harmful to the environment.

Even with "bar" oil, I cringe to think about how many gallons I've spewn out on this spaceship earth. I'm told that there are some microbes that eat it in small doses...

I have unused motor oils (like 30 wt) from previous machines I've had that I have always been meaning to get rid of. I wouldln't consider pouring it on the ground, and thus I am not comfortable running through the saw.

Legitimate concern!

The way I understand it is that when there is an oil spill, what makes it hard to brake down is the concentration of oil. Spreading the oil out will cause it to brake down faster. Bar oil, by the nature of spraying off the bar and mixing with wood-chips and sawdust is spread very thin and dissipates and brakes down in very little time.

Ever notice that a small spill when we fill seems to leave a spot about twice as long as the spot we use on a stump to check for the oil spray off the bar? Just a guess, but I bet that oil spray on the stump last twice as long as the oil spread thinly over the dirt and sawdust?

I recently saw a gallon of "Do it Best" 'Summer' bar and chain oil in the local hardware store. Might give that a try and see how it works???

Not quite on topic but ....

I've been running canola oil and or Bailey's bio bar oil for a while in some of my saws. I picked up some Stihl bio recently (at Lakeside's) and have run some of that as well now.

Can't say yet whether I have any real preference between the two commerical products, but the Stihl bio is quite a bit thicker at jug temperatures.

Bailey's bio about the consistency of straight canola oil and Stihl closer to regular bar oil, but still not as thick as their dino bar. oil

But I'll throw in for normal cutting I have still been pleased with all the oils, including straight canola. Maybe not as tacky as regular, but somehow keeps the bar clean yet slippery.

I personally would not use bio for extreme temps like milling, though. Just not confident it could take that kind of heat as well as traditional bar oil.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back