Thoughts on husqavarna 460 rancher for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakey jake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up my first husky have many homelites stihls mcchullochs echo’s poulans and craftsman.. but just got my first husqavarna.. paid 275 for a nice used 460 rancher that appears to be in good condition. I hear mixed reviews on them… I have read where mechanics have wanted to throw the saw away and tell the customers that they needed a new saw because of crank seals and gaskets being replaced and still leaking air.. anyway just wanted to hear some others opinions on the saw.. will be used for a couple cords of wood a year just for bonfire wood and occasional tree felling and clean up.. I cleaned it up real good was full of gunk she fires right up no issue and sounds great with awesome throttle response.. thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2929.jpeg
    IMG_2929.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2953.jpeg
    IMG_2953.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I haven't owned that model but if it starts and runs good it sounds like a perfect firewood saw. Use ethanol free gas and good 2-stroke oil, keep the air filter clean, chain adjusted correctly, you should have no problems.
You'll know if you have bad crank seals or an air leak because it will run like garbage.

I haven't owned that model but if it starts and runs good it sounds like a perfect firewood saw. Use ethanol free gas and good 2-stroke oil, keep the air filter clean, chain adjusted correctly, you should have no problems.
You'll know if you have bad crank seals or an air leak because it will run like garbage.
Oh yeah I know the routine definitely not my first saw just my first husky it’s in hood shape as far as all that goes I got a buddy who has a personal shop out of his pole barn he owns a lawn care business and his side hustle is working on and buying out bundles of yard equipment
weed eaters
Saws
Blowers
Zero turns he makes a killing on that sells bars chains parts and every other day he’s getting new stuff and he makes sure everything is top knotch before he sells it.. that and in a learning mechanic as well can do pretty much everything only thing I havent done yet is crank shaft and seals..other then that flywheels clutch sprocket drums Fuel lines ignition coils filters piston cylinder oil pumps tuning chain sharpening bar maintenance bar studs just about everything… thanks for your thoughts…

Sounds to me like you're all set with a good saw and know how to keep it running.
I used Huskys a lot when I worked for a tree service, also fixed and maintained them, I always thought they were a damn tough saw that could take a lot of hard work and abuse.

The 460's and smaller 450 and 455's are good solid saws that just dont break often.
A couple of my friends have 10 year old ones that run great and have cut a lot of wood.
Most of us prefer the pro saws like a 562 but it's for speed/power not reliability.

Latest posts

Back