thoughts on the 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
what are ya'lls opinions on the 066, life expectancy,power, quality?

arguably Stihl's best saw. very durable, good power - maybe a little on the heavy side but a very good saw indeed.

Of course I'd rather buy a 385xp and have it powertuned by Dennis or Ken and be laughing at the 066's and partying it up with the money I saved.:D

Otto,
I'm having Dennis build me a 066 as we speak can't wait to run it with my buddies 385 KD as far a price their wont be 10-15 $ difference if you buy from a descent dealer......
Ryan go with what you can get Local service with both are good saws..... The 066 has been around quite a while now..
As Otto said if you want a saw that will run, as well as live go with one of are Saw guru's

walkers told me that the most common problem with them is the lower bearing in the crank case and that if it goes then its not worth the money to fix it:( thoughts:confused:

I've run several 066's, some with many years of use and abuse on them. By the time a lower main bearing goes out, you will have had many years of production out of the saw. Unless you don't mix your fuel right, then you could have an expensive boat anchor (as with any 2-cycle engine).

Try actually working in the field and running a couple saws for a while, and saving your money to buy your own. To ask about this stuff when you have hardly any saw experience and no money to buy them is just mental masturbation.

I have 6 running 066's now and got one thats almost running, waiting on a airfilter for it. Built that one out of parts. The actual crankcase and jugg was only used to cut down 3 trees. Hardly broken in, guy dropped it off the back of the truck and broke the tankbody and a bunch of other pieces. But it runs.
Got a good dozen 66's for parts.

I would have to say this is one of the best if not the best timber saws made...

thoughts on 66

Iv'e bought 4 and still have all of them and they still run fine the oldest is 6 years old never did anything but carb rebuilds, clutch springs, and filters, fine saws, no exceptional saws.

Originally posted by woodsjunkie
Otto,
I'm having Dennis build me a 066 as we speak can't wait to run it with my buddies 385 KD as far a price their wont be 10-15 $ difference if you buy from a descent dealer......

really? you're stihl prices are out of this world!! I know that Dennis and Ken both do great work (owning a beautiful 372xp worked over by Dennis myself). But this statement requires some clarification from you.

A 385xp with a 20" bar costs $684 delivered from southwestfastener.com or $685 from alamia.com - these are all inclusive prices (tax + freight included)

tuning costs around $300 by Mr Dunn (dont quote me because I dont know if this is the case). Walkerizing alone will enable a 385xp kick a stock 066 around like a junkyard dog (and only costs around $200 something in Canadian money = US$33.88) (well maybe US$140 tops)

this makes the KD saw $984 - now how much is a new 066 from your dealer again with the sales tax??:confused: the walkerized 385xp will be around $824.:angel:

Ryan, Do you really need a 066? I think you need to work in the woods awhile before you go out and buy the 66. I bet you will find most of the saws you see are 044 or 372. I hardly ever see 066/385 and almost never see 3120/088.

Otto, In my area stihls are only slightly morew than huskys. Sure you can get huskys cheaper through a net sale, but you can do the same thing with stihls if you know who to talk to.

I guess I dont know who to talk to:( but I do have access to the web.:D the bottom line is dollar per dollar here and stihl just does not win in this case - not even close.

the whole dealer vs. web sales is too old a topic to bring up again....so is the synthetic vs. mineral oil and so is the fuel octane debate.

Lets start talking about greasing the sprocket tip again:) should we do it or do we not need to bother?

Originally posted by logcutter429
but a saw is only as good as the saw shop you buy it from.

well most of the saw shops around here suck a big one in general so what do I want from them? Zip ---- or wait mayby bankruptcy...Just this area I guess but thats the way it is for me.

The saw manufacturer will and I have a spare that I bought with the money I saved from buying from the net.:D

Originally posted by bwalker
Ryan, Do you really need a 066? I think you need to work in the woods awhile before you go out and buy the 66. I bet you will find most of the saws you see are 044 or 372. I hardly ever see 066/385 and almost never see 3120/088.

I think if you decide that you must have an 066 or 385, then you might as well just go out and get an 088 or 3120 instead. What's a few extra pounds over an already big saw? Just get the biggest. I didn't need the extra power, but got one just for the hell of it.

climber165, who said that i haven't had experance with a saw:confused: maybe not as much as you but i have been using saws for ten years now, not profesionaly that long but i have been running a saw every day for the past 9 months, the past 10 6 years once or twice a week, i currently have 2 036's, an 021, an ms191t and an 026. the reason that i need some thing bigger is that i have a bunch of oaks that are in the 30-50" range to take down on my farm and on my neighbor's farm, they are dead and since i have to remove them anyway i plan on selling them for firewood.

Send me $1000 and I will send you a new 3120 with instruction book, warrantee card, and tool kit. It will come with a bar length of your choice ( up to 36"). I will pay all shipping and you will have a saw that kicks trees to the curb! :) Mike

now thats what i'm talking about!!!:D

I agree with Doug too - if you want a bigger saw and have the funds available, you might as well get the biggest one there is.:p

PS. Hey Mike, is that selling over the internet? :p Looks like a great price to me - I wish I had the cash....

Latest posts

Back