thoughts on the 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Gypo had some 088's new for $950 or so, not 100% sure. You know how short term memory tends to fade with age. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Ryan. I just got the impression from your posts that you didn't have much saw experience, besides being so young. But unless you are removing massive hardwoods on a regular basis, the 046 should handle anything up to 36" DBH easily with power to spare. When I was your age I wanted the biggest, baddest saw available. Now I want the lightest that will handle the job without bogging. I've worked with a guy for 6 months straight doing mostly removals and we only pulled the 066 out for one stump cut in that time. The 046 cut everything else easily.

Mike's price is an excellent one for the 3120. I don't know what Gypo Logger's price is for an 088, but I suspect you'd be hard pressed to beat it if you want the Stihl. Both of these guys will do you right. Why not get one of each?

brian, i didn't mean to come off mad. the reason i have been running a saw so long and so young is my dad isn't in the shape (57 w/desk job sence we lost part of the farm) to be doing things like that and he doesn't have good balance:( so someone has to do it, which works out cause i love working in the woods and trees:D i'm like you in the way that i prefere to use the smallest lightest saw i can get away with. i put my 36's to work in those oaks but they are pretty hard and were bogging them down:( i run a 28" on one of them, going to sell one so that i can have some $$$ for a bigger saw. put my friends 371 into some of it and can't say that i was impressed, granted he doesn't keep his stuff in good shape but stihl (pun intended) i just wasn't impressed.

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
put my friends 371 into some of it and can't say that i was impressed, granted he doesn't keep his stuff in good shape.

did he have the chain on backwards? 371 should compare really well to a 036. Kind of like Lennox Lewis and Oscar De La Hoya.... I mean really. the 372 (almost the same saw) is the best bang for the buck in a saw IMHO!, but you need to get something you like and if you can get something bigger you should go for it :D

Like John in MA says - More power, arggghh:p

All the horsepower in the world won't help if you got a dull or improperly sharpened chain. I've never run a 371 so I don't know what size Stihl would be comperable.

I can tell you that if you spend $900-$1000 on an 066/088, you will end up getting another midsize/large saw to use regularly and only pull out the monster for big stump cuts. It will be an awful lot of money sitting and waiting for the occasional large cut. Seems like the bigger saws get used a lot less than the smaller ones in most cases, and are much less cost efficient. Sounds like an 044/046 would be more to your liking, and you'd get a lot more use out of it. It's a good size match with the 026 for smaller stuff.

chain was sharp, carb out of tune, the 044 would be comparable to the 371. i know you husky guys out there are going to let me have it for this but oh well, i just don't like that lumber jack tupaware! all the plastic. not going to buy the 66 new, got a friend that will sell me a used one.

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
i just don't like that lumber jack tupaware! all the plastic. not going to buy the 66 new, got a friend that will sell me a used one.

:D kinda like calling Glock handguns tupperware eh!:p no you will go fine with the 066 if its in good shape and you get a good deal. Like I said before, its probably the best saw Stihl has made in a long, long time.:blob2:

Ryan,

If you're getting a used 066, maybe you might have some $ left over or in the future for one of my high mileage 044's. When I get done with them, one will have a new jug and piston, the other a new piston and bottom end. (That one is still running OK, but has some wear on the clutch side main bearing, so I have a whole bottom end for it that I got cheap on ebay.) I'll even open up the mufflers, which will up the performance by 20% or so. Do the same to your 036, you'll love the added power. Plenty of info here, use the search feature.

It will be November before I have a chance to work on the saws....

D@mn it Otto...you are getting soft....you are even putting up good words for Sitstill...I mean Stihl.....(not that they dont deserve it:rolleyes: ) What was the argument again? Oh yeah...anyway...a 372/2171 will do most any work put to them....

I purchased a new 066 recently, Love the saw. looked at both stihl and husky, the deales (quoted) list prices differed only slightly between the 066 and 395 at 1160$ cdn 750$ us for the Stihl, and ~1100$ for the husky. The differnce was that the guy at the stihl shop was able to knock a significantly bigger chunk off the price.

As faw as power and usability, great so far works well for milling, falling and bucking larger fire wood. I avoid limbing with the 066 and am looking to get an 026 for those jobs. Seems that a 32" bar would be about realistic max length at least for milling, certainly longer bars have been used, but i'm sure with diminishing returns.

I don't think that going to the 046 would make enough difference in versatility or weight and I think you would miss the extra power. Note: we do use the 046 on 2 fire trucks for cutting roof vents and other jobs, saws take a LOT of abuse but stand up well.

I know one guy in the area who has used an 066 cutting skid logs to length on log piles for over 3 years now (40 hrs a week 40+ weeks a year) with little more than regular maintenance on the saw and a bunch of chains, bars and sprockets.

timberwolf

thats what i'm looking for, the guy im working for now is a certifed logger (right now i help him w/his tree service) and as soon as he gets the $$$ he's going to get into more logging. he just went through a NASTY divorce and ya'll know what that means, we sell the logs that we get from the removals as it is so i'll have a use for the saw in the next 6mo's, if not i'll sell it to him:D

I've owned an 066 for 7 years now. I was green to the gills when I bought that saw. I wanted the baddest saw I could afford. The 385 wasn't available then. I would give that a hard look. The 385 IMO bridges the 70cc to 95cc gap. My 066 sits too much, but I won't part with it, it is just too cool to run. The 066 has been a winner of a saw for me. Rich.

hear yee , hear yee

ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN AN 066 GO TO EBAY TYPE IN ''STIHL '' THEN CLICK ON HIGHEST PRICED ITEMS....... IT LOOKS LIKE A BUYERS MARKET TO ME ...... AN THE SAME WITH THE 026'S PLEEEASE ....... ALL WE HERE AT THE SITE CAN DO IS GIVE YOU OUR BEST ADVICE ...... ALSO GO TO STIHLUSA.COM FOR THE DATA ON EACH SAW .......i DON'T MEAN TO SOUND MEAN AT ALL BUT TOO MUCH INFO CAN DRIVE YOU CRAZY......OR CONFUSE TO SAY THE LEAST.........CLICK BUY IT NOW AND THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED:)

and what exactly does all this tell us about the real world of using an 066:confused: buy it now? - now thats a real information source.

PS. No need to be yelling is there:angry:

ah yes spreader i could just do that but as a saw junkie this is much more amusing :D

ryan

ryan have you had any luck on that 066 yet......I sent you a e-mail a few days back .... just wanted to see if you had found one yet .....yes I agree this is more fun too:)

Spreaderman
How is your used 066 holding up?? L.B.Wc,they still has a couple of them left!!
Also a nother sale on
New Husqvarna powerheads
385@ $965 CN Funds
395@ $1040 " "

L.B Woodchoppers,Ltd.
250-723-5841

very happy with mine

I only wish I had bought two ..... I have used it some .... but plan to use it more as winter is coming on. the only thing I have to watch is it will cut to much wood to fast.... as I am used to using smaller an slower saws... I ordered some full skip chain from madsens and could not ask for more in a stock saw... I'm stihl happy.... If I wanted a 066 I would by another one from them ... thanks for asking ...Paul

Paul
I only know a couple of folks in BC including Dennis and they have never steared me wrong.
Your 066 will always run strong considering LB had 15 of them for@ $500 CN funds. Seth
mogwai.gif

Latest posts

Back