To grind or not to grind, that is the question........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berni29

Reaction score
Hi There

I have 5 tree stumps all between 6"-12" or so. They are reasonably accessible, I might have to remove a fence panel or two.

My wife wishes to plant some more hedges and the stumps are in the way. I cut the trees down earlier this year so no rotting yet. My question is, should I hire someone to grind them down or hire a grinder and do it myself? I am a handyman so are used to power tools and managed to cut the trees themselves down without killing myself or anyone else, although it was a bit hairy at times.

Thoughts please

All the best

Berni

If you feel up to it, and are curious, try it! Watch a bunch of videos on YouTube to get some idea of how to work efficiently, chase roots, etc.

I assume that you have already compared hired service versus rental costs.

Philbert

6-12” diameter? About ten minutes each tops with a decent rented stump grinder. Should be a piece of cake. Now if it was 24-36” diameter, it would take longer.

Stump grinding requires less skill than felling the trees, go for it.

What kind of trees were they? Might get away with cutting the roots with an axe & prying the stump out if they don't have a massive tap root

Back