To trim/prune/thin Redwood Trees or not - thoroughly confused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DT_Fremont

Reaction score
Hi, I have three redwood trees in my front yard (Bay Area in California) that are in a line. The two end redwoods are about 80ft tall and the middle redwood is about 60ft tall. The spacing between two redwoods is about 10 ft so the middle one is significantly skinnier than the other two. I will try to add a picture later. I was told that the tress are healthy (buds growing ends of leaves, no fungus growth on root, good green color). Some of the inside branches of the end redwood is growing sideways towards the sun because of interference with the middle redwood. Btw, I have been in the house for 10 years and have never pruned them except removing some low hanging branches. I had several certified arborists look at it and I got wildly different recommendations. One told me it is better to leave it alone (no pruning except to remove low branches to create clearance with roof and sidewalk) and that the three trees are supporting each other (roots are probably intermingled). One told me better to remove the middle tree as it will interfere with the other two redwoods long term. One told me that the middle can be removed but don't grind the stump because it might hurt the root of the other two trees.

My main reason to trim is to reduce chance of the trees falling during high winds. So all the explanations to me sounds plausible and trimming to decrease wind resistance seems to make sense. I am thoroughly confused. Help please!

Hi, I have three redwood trees in my front yard (Bay Area in California) that are in a line. The two end redwoods are about 80ft tall and the middle redwood is about 60ft tall. The spacing between two redwoods is about 10 ft so the middle one is significantly skinnier than the other two. I will try to add a picture later. I was told that the tress are healthy (buds growing ends of leaves, no fungus growth on root, good green color). Some of the inside branches of the end redwood is growing sideways towards the sun because of interference with the middle redwood. Btw, I have been in the house for 10 years and have never pruned them except removing some low hanging branches. I had several certified arborists look at it and I got wildly different recommendations. One told me it is better to leave it alone (no pruning except to remove low branches to create clearance with roof and sidewalk) and that the three trees are supporting each other (roots are probably intermingled). One told me better to remove the middle tree as it will interfere with the other two redwoods long term. One told me that the middle can be removed but don't grind the stump because it might hurt the root of the other two trees.

My main reason to trim is to reduce chance of the trees falling during high winds. So all the explanations to me sounds plausible and trimming to decrease wind resistance seems to make sense. I am thoroughly confused. Help please!
I believe suggestion #2 is the way to go.
One told me it is better to leave it alone (no pruning except to remove low branches to create clearance with roof and sidewalk) and that the three trees are supporting each other (roots are probably intermingled).
I'm not an arborist, but from what I've read here and other sources, it's true the roots on redwoods not only support each other physically, but they also communicate with roots from nearby trees.
I also believe that the three trees together are stronger against wind than the two remaining would be if you cut down the center tree.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure a real arborist will be along shortly to offer a more professional answer.

Pictures would also be helpful.

Pictures...
But based on your description I don't think the recommendations you got are all that different. None have recommended any significant pruning & that would be the case with most redwoods unless they are damaged or unbalanced for some reason.
Trees growing together tend to be mutually supportive with regard to environmental loads & you have to bare that in mind when selectively removing them. In this case it sounds like they are too close together & removing the middle tree would allow the end trees to fill the gap & become better balanced trees. Just pruning the outside trees would be a temporary & not ideal solution.
If the trees are reasonably well balanced & healthy there shouldn't be a need to do do anything other than prune lower baranhes for convenience.
If you do remove the middle tree limit the damage to the others as much as possible. As previously mentioned, don't poison or grind the stump. Stump will resprout so you could possibly maintain a "redwood bush" (removing any new leaders as they take off). Removing the bark should prevent this & kill the stump.
I'd be inclined to leave enough stump to use as the base for a table & make a top from the tree if you do end up removing it

Back