To Upgrade Craftsman Chainsaw or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain CaveMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, first post. I have been running a chainsaw now for 15 years. I started out as a casual cutter, and I still am just more serious about it. I Love to cut. I do have all the PPE as it is a chainsaw and anyone who doesn't take those precautions doesn't value life. I love the outdoors and live in a small town, anyhow I have been lurking here for years finally decided to join.

Here is my Situation. I own 2 saws, husqvarna 445 and a craftsman 42cc. I love my husqvarna, I wish I would have researched a bit more and went for the 450, but that will probably happen in the next year or so anyways.
I have learned owning saws becomes an addiction. I started out with a hand me down craftsman, and upgraded to my current craftsman 42cc 18" bar about 9 years ago.

I have run this saw as the sole saw for about 7 years. It has been pretty dependable I have always kept it tuned and running well, to this day it starts in 1 or 2 pulls. I have managed to wear a clutch drum sprocket out and while I was at it I replaced the clutch. Otherwise its untouched save for regular tuneups. The saw pulls really pretty good through wood. it has had the bar and chain upgraded long ago obviously as I learned more about saws I learned the shortcomings of that saw and did upgrade the cutting end.

My Husqvarna has become my primary saw and the craftsman the back up. I love the husqvarna and it has really opened my eyes to what better chainsaws can do. I like to carry 2 saws now when I cut so if i do encounter a problem I can put the one away and repair at home and just pull the other saw out. LOL this long winded story finally gets me to my question. I am considering moving to a new smaller backup saw...

I usually cut 15" or smaller trees generally pine, that's just what I like to burn. I am trying to decide if the craftsman is something I should keep its always run so well and has a new clutch, I wondered about doing yet another bar upgrade but shrinking the bar to a 16 or even 14 and a new set of chains. But I see all these lightweight saws and wonder if they would be a better alternative to keeping the craftsman I just have no clue what hp the 42cc motor even makes (sears poulan are pretty tight lipped about that). So I have no idea of how the craftsman would compare to 30-35cc motors.

So I guess I am looking for opinions. I am looking at husqvarna 240 or 435 or echo 310... Just wondered how they would compare power wise to the craftsman I don't want to take a big step back on power, but i know they'd probably be lighter and better balanced than the craftsman with the shorter bar. My question is whether they would be an upgrade and worth the extra money. I think I could get 80-100 for the old craftsman its in good shape cosmetically and runs fantastic as I have stated.

I guess I over think things, but i've heard these smaller saws aren't built as well. Is this so or would you consider it to be an upgrade over the craftsman, will there be a big power concession dropping to a 30cc over the craftsman and do you think the craftsman has many years left if I keep it. LOL lot of questions I know. I also understand I don't have top quality chainsaws but I like cutting wood and enjoy it so much with what I have, I am looking for some upgrading though as I said. I think I will trade in the 445 for a 450 next year. And this year is the smaller back up year to either upgrade the craftsman or get a new one

Last edited:
CCM, it's good that you decided to join & post!

Please forgive the nitpick, but your post would benefit from being broken down into paragraphs, it's kind of hard on my old eyes :Eye:^:Eye:.

A simple answer: Since the Craftsman (a rebadged Poulan in all likelyhood) has served you well, do as you mentioned and drop down to a 16" b&c, maybe even a 14" depending on the size of wood that you're cutting. I'm not sure that a "smaller & lighter" saw is needed in your case. If you decide to get a smaller saw, you'll want to keep the Cratsman anyway because it won't bring much $$ if you sell it, or trade it in.

A more involved answer: Do a muffler mod & a retune on the Craftsman.

That cratsman/poulan will be incredibly cheap and easy to keep running, there are zillions o used ones out there that the parts will fit, and they are also easy to work on. If you are happy with it, and just want to go to a shorter bar and good pro chain, go for it! run that dude until it needs a rebuild or something, in the meantime, look for used similar donor saws/basket cases for parts. You can research the muffler modding here if you want to scrape out a bit more power for free.

Poulans are very nice and underated inexpensive saws with proper tuning and maintenance, as you can see.

yeah it really has been a really good saw. I cant complain too much lol, I just found an echo 310 new for 180 so i started to have thoughts bout a new backup, I have already been offered 80 but I think i could get 100 for the craftsman, but just as you have stated. I know how to repair the craftsman and have done it I know what i'm in with it.
Just wasn't sure how much more life to expect out of it, but I do laugh how they are said to be such crappy saws and mine has went 9 years being used full time.I know I haven't used it professionally or even remotely close and I acknowledge that the better saws are better. Which is what got me thinking bout an upgrade for the backup :D

I would just keep the saw as a backup or loaner. If the husky is working well and suits your needs, don't really see a need to get another saw.

Now, wanting, that is a different story. But if you are going to shell out dollars for another 40cc saw, I would look to upgrade when you have the funds. If you go to a "pro" 50cc, you will get an increase in performance with no weight gain. If you like Husky look at the 346 or 550.

Going down in cc's is not really going to gain you much unless you get a saw like the 201 from stihl, where you are getting a pro saw in a small version, but you will be paying big bucks for that. Dropping something like 2 lbs. I wouldn't waste the money on a 30cc poulan version though; virtually same weight just less power, maybe saving a pound.

If I were you, I would save for a pro 50cc saw and run what you have till then. Saw On!!! :chainsaw:

so your saying both the echo and husqvarna 30cc saws are not better than poulan 30cc series ? Maybe it is silly was just looking for something different sized I guess. kind of like the different saws for bucking limbing kind of train of thought. Lol it could be a want thing though :D and yes the Craftsman is definitely the loaner saw, then again I don't loan saws out any more the last time it came back with a bent bar and messed up chain. The bar was new as well which made it more bitter sweet.

Last edited:
If you are cutting 15" trees, you would be well served to move to a larger primary saw. A pro saw would be best, but a homeowner saw from Stihl or Husky in the 50cc range would probably be fine. Then keep the 445 as a backup, and the craftsman as a loner.

As far as buying a new saw of the same size, if the craftsman works, there wouldn't really be any advantage to upgrading and staying with the same size of saw.

Going out on a limb here, but wouldn't a Husqy 460/20", & 445/16" be a great combo for the captain? If he can get $80 for his craftsman, he should RUN to the next nearest Husqy shop and get "FARM TOUGH". And then a month later bust out a thou and pick up a 576ATW... Hey, it does happen,Arbor site did it to me. I now have chainsaw acquisition disorder :(

The little Echo is not bad. Those little Husky saws may BE the Poulan in drag. Poulan and Husqvarna are owned by the same company, and many of the models have "cousins" that are mechanically the same and sold with different plastic.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3. (Using no copied Apple technology.)

I would just run what you have and save some more $$ up and buy a re-built Husky 346XP from 'nmurph'..

He does them all the time and muffer modifies them and puts them in the classifieds on this site.

The 346xp old edition (OE) goes for ~$300 and the larger new edition (NE) goes for ~ $400 incl. insured shipping.
(the 346XP is a Pro Grade saw..!!)

AND 'nmurph' stands behind his work..probably better than most factory dealers..!!

Soo..I'd save for the 346XP (NE)...then I'd still keep the 42cc Poulan and the Husky 445.

The 346xp I'd use for felling - the 445 for bucking - and the Poulan for limbing..or sell it..your call..

In the meantime (while saving up the $$) - I'd MM the Poulan and 445 and put a 14"-16" bar/chain on the Poulan.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
GEEEZ here I am thinking a 450 will be a good saw lots more power than the 445 but not much more weight, then you mention the 460, and I think huh the 460 does have more power than the 455 and is a smidge lighter.....lol its always more and more saw isn't it.....love it

so your saying both the echo and husqvarna 30cc saws are not better than poulan 30cc series ?

As said husky is poulan. But what I was getting at, going to any 30cc besides something like the 201 from Stihl, you will not gain much over your craftsman. You will shed very, very little weight, if any. And you will have less power. So, I would stick with the craftsman, unless you just want a new saw.

Keep both, save for a pro 50cc. As suggested, nmurph's hot rods are good choices.

You'd be totally wasting you $$ buying a 460...bro..you said you were cutting 15" pine as in softwood..!!

And they're waay too heavy..just like the 455!! - and they're NOT a Pro Grade saw..!!

But it's your $$ and your back, shoulders, arms etc. - JMHO..!!
J2F

If you thought you could get $100 out of the craftsman, I would sell it immediately because a new one that size can be had for about 129.00. I have one in my trailer right now (1998 craftsman 42cc) that I haven't even assessed and don't know much about it other than it doesn't run. I made a post called "mini score, craftsman wild thang" just a few minutes ago and I will update my findings. These in my understanding are rebadged wild things. I may be wrong, I was once before.

I don't think you need anything larger than the 455. I would keep that for your big saw. There are very high quality "small saws" out there, the Stihl MS200 for example, but they are expensive.

If you thought you could get $100 out of the craftsman, I would sell it immediately because a new one that size can be had for about 129.00.
I don't think you need anything larger than the 455. I would keep that for your big saw. There are very high quality "small saws" out there, the Stihl MS200 for example, but they are expensive.
Hi FOP..!!
I agree with you 'FOP'..(he has a 445..not a 455) but that's really all he needs for 15" pine..IMHO..!!

Hell..I'd sell it for $80-100 and just buy a New Poulan 42cc saw..!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just think he wants to buy another saw..and a Husky 346xpne will do everything he needs and last him forever..if taken care of.
(make the 445 the back-up saw..!!)

"nmurph' rebuild for $400 or NEW for about $509 +tax.

The Husky 460 is Non-Pro..weighs 2 lb more than the 346xp and has less hp. and costs within $30 as much as the 346xp..!!
J2F

Listen to J2F. Good advice there. The 346XP is the way to go. Have never tried anything better.
I got the 346XPG with heating in the handles. Perfect in the winter. :clap:
But then again, the new 550XP seems really cool!

sorry jus2fat I didn't gleam much from yours at first. I went back and reread, the husky 346 sounds like a very viable option. I was headed for a more powerful saw, but have been not really wanting much heavier than the 445 i like how it handles, just want more oomph.....so I will keep your advice right there in my mind how often does he rebuild them ? Maybe I need to send him a pm and get on a list to buy :D. As for the craftsman it sounds as though there isn't much ground to be gained from upgrading to the smaller echo, so maybe ill hold onto it. I can get the money out of it but why if i'm not getting a new saw just yet. I see lots of non running craftsmans floating around, I think ill keep the one I have even if it meant selling this straight over for a new craftsman 42cc id rather keep the one that I know was put together correct....Mine is the old tool style intenz chain adjustment setup, im not a fan of tooless adjustment. There has been good information shared here

Last edited:
sorry jus2fat I didn't gleam much from yours at first. I went back and reread, the husky 346 sounds like a very viable option. I was headed for a more powerful saw, but have been not really wanting much heavier than the 445 i like how it handles, just want more oomph.....so I will keep your advice right there in my mind how often does he rebuild them ? Maybe I need to send him a pm and get on a list to buy :D. As for the craftsman it sounds as though there isn't much ground to be gained from upgrading to the smaller echo, so maybe ill hold onto it. I can get the money out of it but why if i'm not getting a new saw just yet. I see lots of non running craftsmans floating around, I think ill keep the one I have even if it meant selling this straight over for a new craftsman 42cc id rather keep the one that I know was put together correct....Mine is the old tool style intenz chain adjustment setup, im not a fan of tooless adjustment. There has been good information shared here
I'm with ya CCM...!!

If you know the Poulan you have and it's upkeep by you - then I'd keep it over selling and buying the same saw new.
(as you said..you know what you got...and parts are readily available and the saw is easy to work on as you know)

If you can "spring the green" - then of course..buy a New 346xpNE for ~ $509 + tax..!!!

If light on $$..save up for New or a 'nmurph' 346xp..new edition..(NE)..the OE is close to what you have only in Pro Grade form.
Hope you didn't take me wrong on the 460..but it would really be a bad choice and I spelled out why.

'nmurph' pretty much has a 346xp in the classifieds all the time...some are OD and others NE...You want the NE.
Here is an OE he has in there right now - http://www.arboristsite.com/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=3194

His reputation means his NE's don't last long - so if you want to go that route - when you get ready to buy...
PM him and tell him what you want and he'll get back to you and you two can work something out..I'm sure..!!
J2F

lol I was like why is this guy so mad about me getting the 460, but it makes more sense when u look at them, there isnt a huge price diff and of course the 346 would be a better choice, much lighter same power.....for some reason i was thinking the 346 was so much more... whats funny is your threshold for chainsaw price increases as you grow to love cutting wood more and more.
I started out with the craftsman at 150ish with the case going well its not going to last but im not willing to pay more, then the husqvarna, lol guess I know what im doing with my winter earnings.....:D

lol I was like why is this guy so mad about me getting the 460, but it makes more sense when u look at them, there isnt a huge price diff and of course the 346 would be a better choice, much lighter same power.....for some reason i was thinking the 346 was so much more... whats funny is your threshold for chainsaw price increases as you grow to love cutting wood more and more.
I started out with the craftsman at 150ish with the case going well its not going to last but im not willing to pay more, then the husqvarna, lol guess I know what im doing with my winter earnings.....:D
I'm glad that you now understand better..what I was trying to convey to you...

I'm just an old man trying to help a 'youngblood'..LOL..! - :msp_thumbup:
J2F

Latest posts

Back