To Upgrade Craftsman Chainsaw or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The deciding factor for me would be if the Craftsman has anti vibe or not. If it has anti vibe it is most likely a re-badged Poulan Pro and a good saw to keep. If it doesn't have anti vibe it is a re-badged Wild Thing and if someone will give you $80 for it take the money and run. Some pics would help with a positive ID because Sears bought saws from more than 1 manufacturer.

View attachment 254746View attachment 254747Hey buddy,

I had a craftsman 42cc given to me by a neighbor who could not get it to run this summer. All he wanted in return was the permission to come get some hedge every once in a while for BBQ wood.

"Of course I will make that trade" I tell him. We are both happy, he doesn't take much wood, and this saw is a real suprise to run.

Here is what I prioritized for changes to this saw.

First: Muffler mod

Second: good chain (meaning you are sharpening with skill at home, not taking it to a shop)

Third: open up the low speed jet, don't remember what I did to the high speed

I do not see much advantage to getting a shorter bar on it, you are just going to have to bend over more to limb with it.

I have been using the crap out of this saw since I got it. I heard people on this site say it is a homeowner saw, its only good for a couple cords before it will need repairs, etc. Well I want to see if this is true. I am up to 7 cords with this saw since mid summer, and it is going to need a sprocket soon, but nothing else. I attached some pics of a typical load out from the national forest, and another of the saw being used in a tree. I have been taking pictures of some of the loads I cut with the old craftsman, It will do more than you think.

I am definitely using this saw for more than it was intended for, and so far it is working fine. I am extremely careful to not spend much money on the firewood business, I am not in it long term, and I want almost all of my cash flow to be income, so I use minimal capital investment. I would run the craftsman and buy any new saw you want, but if you have a good runner is it really worth horse trading over?

I have found that while we all love chainsaws, a majority of your firewood time is spent loading, unloading, stacking, splitting, bringing inside, delivering etc. A slightly imperfect saw for the job is still going to get the truck loaded, it will still keep you warm.

Dan

Last edited:
If you have your mind set on a smaller saw, I would look for one of those older Poulan, or Craftsman top handles. If you don't mind running a saw without a chain brake, they are really good little runners. I've sold several good running 1.8, and 2,0 Craftsmans on the Bay and can kick myself because most of them sold for around $50. There is a pretty reputable seller on there that sells a lot of these that seem to be completely refurbished. Often he has the 2.1 version of the old 25 CVA Poulan

I think if you go with one of those smaller Echo's, you will be disappointed. From what I hear they are screamin little saws but I don't think they'll outcut that Craftsman. All you'll be ganing is a little lighter saw.

If money is an issue, and you're set on a 50cc, I would sell the 445 Husky, and go with that rebuild 346, or even a brand new 353 Husky. Theres probably deals to be had on those now that all the new auto tune models are out. And of course you could ge RED. The tag it and bag it sale is just around the corner.

View attachment 254746View attachment 254747Hey buddy,

I had a craftsman 42cc given to me by a neighbor who could not get it to run this summer. All he wanted in return was the permission to come get some hedge every once in a while for BBQ wood.

"Of course I will make that trade" I tell him. We are both happy, he doesn't take much wood, and this saw is a real suprise to run.

Here is what I prioritized for changes to this saw.

First: Muffler mod

Second: good chain (meaning you are sharpening with skill at home, not taking it to a shop)

Third: open up the low speed jet, don't remember what I did to the high speed

I do not see much advantage to getting a shorter bar on it, you are just going to have to bend over more to limb with it.

I have been using the crap out of this saw since I got it. I heard people on this site say it is a homeowner saw, its only good for a couple cords before it will need repairs, etc. Well I want to see if this is true. I am up to 7 cords with this saw since mid summer, and it is going to need a sprocket soon, but nothing else. I attached some pics of a typical load out from the national forest, and another of the saw being used in a tree. I have been taking pictures of some of the loads I cut with the old craftsman, It will do more than you think.

I am definitely using this saw for more than it was intended for, and so far it is working fine. I am extremely careful to not spend much money on the firewood business, I am not in it long term, and I want almost all of my cash flow to be income, so I use minimal capital investment. I would run the craftsman and buy any new saw you want, but if you have a good runner is it really worth horse trading over?

I have found that while we all love chainsaws, a majority of your firewood time is spent loading, unloading, stacking, splitting, bringing inside, delivering etc. A slightly imperfect saw for the job is still going to get the truck loaded, it will still keep you warm.

Dan

Yep, the hauling handling splitting and stacking is a lot more work than the cutting.

BUT...once you get that done..you can go back to the fun cutting, it's like a "rewards" system. Plus, it feeds FAD, firewood acquistion disorder.

I started out one season ahead, then went, well, I'll go two seasons out for real dry wood and a cushion, now working on five years, think I am at 3.5 to 4 years level right now with my this past week's cutting.

Good thread; good discussion. Let me add a little dealer perspective.

Sounds to me like you already have the right backup saw in the Craftsman. A 42cc Craftsman probably does have the anti-vibe, and whether or not it's been taken care of is not in doubt. It's also fairly light in weight, so there are no big gains from getting another saw. And only being in a backup role, there's no reason to spend money on the ideal saw.

Going from a 18" to a 15" bar can do wonders for a small saw's handling, so going that route would give you two saws that are close in CC's, but set up for different applications. The Craftsman could be either .325 like your Husky, or it could be 3/8 lo pro. Having them both set up for .325 would be the best way to go, as bars and chains would be interchangeable between the two.

Comments on a few of the other Husky models mentioned..........

235/240 are Poulan "based", but not simply relabled, Poulan saws. They are OK for occasional use, but I don't even stock them. Why not just save some $ and get a regular Poulan.

The 450 has a little more power than your 445, but nowhere near enough to justify buying it. The biggest waste in money with saws is only going 1 rung up the ladder. You'd be spending more than $300 and wondering what you gained.

Like many have said, the 346 is the saw you want to end up with, and all the more reason not to spend money on a backup saw when you've already got the 42cc Craftsman. The 346 would also share bar and chain combo's with the other two.

I also must note that Husky is just about out of 346's, and they may not bring anymore of them in, as it's being replaced by the 550. I've been watching their inventory go down for the last two weeks, and I ordered some more on Thu as the number was getting pretty low. So now I've got twice as many as they do. :msp_wink: The only way they might bring more in is if they have trouble keeping the pipeline full of 550's. But for the most part, we're getting near the end.

Yeah I will be getting a 346 this winter I think, as long as another chainsaw doesn't catch my eye ;). Love this forum.
by the way I didnt know they had regular poulans in 42cc flavor. I thought they were all poulan pro in the 42cc

Last edited:
OP....

Like another member stated. Displacement is not a replacement for a dull chain. Keep the chain sharp! If the chain starts throwing smaller chips, time to touch up the chain! Don't wait until it's throwing dust. That's harder on you and the saw. Plus, it takes longer to sharpen a chain that's that dull!

I'm no pro. Just some guy burning trees to keep warm and keep the propane guy out of my yard!

Yeah I will be getting a 346 this winter I think, as long as another chainsaw doesn't catch my eye ;). Love this forum.
by the way I didnt know they had regular poulans in 42cc flavor. I thought they were all poulan pro in the 42cc

The Wild Thing is a 40cc saw with a 42cc emissions label on it. It doesn't have anti vibe and it doesn't have a plated cylinder. The Poulan Pro has anti vibe and a plated cylinder.

The Wild Thing is more of a use it once and put it in the garage until it's needed for the next storm blow down. They can be bought new here for about $140 regular price and sometimes as low as $99 on sale. That was why in my earlier post I suggested selling the Craftsman if it doesn't have anti vibe if you can get $80 for it. If you watch the sales you could replace it for $99 if you wanted another one bad enough.

I bought my Wild Thing which was made in 2001 for $25 with a carrying case and a Qt of bar and chain oil. There was very little wear on the original bar and chain and the only thing wrong with it was a plugged fuel tank vent. I think that I have used it more than the previous owner did and it gets used less than all of my other saws. I haven't had it for a year yet.

As for the Poulan Pro and the Craftsman clone. It's a good saw and I would keep it. I have a Jonsered that is basically a red and black 36cc Poulan Pro. It gets a lot of use as my primary limbing saw. :msp_smile:

I've said this before:

Welcome to group therapy

Don't hope to be discouraged by this bunch of professional enablers

NEVER get rid of a running saw - NEVER give up on a non-runner -- Unless you can trade it for several others

EVERY saw has merit, remember that.

Welcome

luck,greg

Yep, the hauling handling splitting and stacking is a lot more work than the cutting.

BUT...once you get that done..you can go back to the fun cutting, it's like a "rewards" system. Plus, it feeds FAD, firewood acquistion disorder.

I started out one season ahead, then went, well, I'll go two seasons out for real dry wood and a cushion, now working on five years, think I am at 3.5 to 4 years level right now with my this past week's cutting.

I wish I had the problem you have of being overstocked with wood. Around these parts its a luxury to have a years worth. I keep/stack, a year in advance, and only pretty much burn wood thats aged 1 year. With all the dead ash around that will change for a little while though.

I got a freind who's new to this firewoodand chainsaw stuff ask me, "since you have all that extra wood, I'll trade you an install on all your windows for 3 chords or so of firewood." (I just bought 4 new windows) My reply was "Extra wood? I won't know till May how much of it is extra" He doesn't understand the part about letting it sit for a year before burning.

Plus you never know when a back injury is gonna sideline you for a year or so.

Hey Captain! Sounds like I was reading a post by me! I too started w/ a given-to-me 42cc Crapsman 18". Then I got serious and picked up the Husky 450, mainly because I got the chance to cut apple wood @ $1 for a permit to cut all I want on huge bulldozed orchards. The 450 served me well in that scenario. Now I cut large oaks and hickory so I stepped up to the 357XP. I saved the old crapsman saw and put a 14" b/c on it and use it to limb. She shakes like crazy compared to a well built saw but it's paid for so why not use it. If I had the money would I buy a better limb saw, yes, but I just don't feel the need right now. If you pick up the 346, you won't want to use "other one". :D Here's a few pics of my stuff, new and old:
the 450. sold it for $200. You can't tell I cut well over 16 cords w/ it.
DSC02489.jpg

DSC02490.jpg

the 357 and limb saw
DSC02516.jpg

DSC02519.jpg

ok just an update. As you know I was kicking around the idea of selling my saw and getting a new backup. Well I come across a good deal on a new in box not refurbished craftsman 20" 50cc. So I put my saw up for sale locally and it sold in 12 hours ! for $100 I then tonight bought the new 50cc craftsman for $135 shipped ! kind of hard to argue with 35 turnaround so I jumped on it. I know its still what it is, but hey I upgraded my backup/loaner saw :D I did order some LGX chain for it tonight as well, so I have a chain for me and the factory chain for when I loan it........I am excited I honestly had great luck with the last one, the new owner was blown away how well it worked. Guess an oregon bar and some woodland pro chain help to shine the old cutter end up on a craftsman eh ;)

Those saws are getting pretty good reveiws around here. Due a search of Poulan Pro 5020. Same saw in yellow.

ok just an update. As you know I was kicking around the idea of selling my saw and getting a new backup. Well I come across a good deal on a new in box not refurbished craftsman 20" 50cc. So I put my saw up for sale locally and it sold in 12 hours ! for $100 I then tonight bought the new 50cc craftsman for $135 shipped ! kind of hard to argue with 35 turnaround so I jumped on it. I know its still what it is, but hey I upgraded my backup/loaner saw :D I did order some LGX chain for it tonight as well, so I have a chain for me and the factory chain for when I loan it........I am excited I honestly had great luck with the last one, the new owner was blown away how well it worked. Guess an oregon bar and some woodland pro chain help to shine the old cutter end up on a craftsman eh ;)

If that Craftsman 50cc is a Poulan 5020, then depending on what your cutting, I'll bet your Husky ends up being your limbing/backup.

I am really excited. I actually ordered two chains a woodland pro semi chisel, and an lgx skip chisel, lol I think its jgx I figured the skip would be good if I need to bury the bar. I also plan to mod this saw a little, never done it on another so ill get a baseline feel for its power then do a muffler mod and carb tune and see. I have already got the green light on a Christmas saw as well :D :D so I will get my 346 as well...... cant wait to throw chips with this new saw.....:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back